1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also, stolen from a comment from Cageside Seats, the last two days illustrate why Smacksown is so much better than Raw.

Smackdown establishes a new top contender after one hour of wrestling. Raw tries to convince viewers to tune in for three hours to see if an employee apologizes to her bosses.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

A cynic might say it was a re-run of an angle Raw did a year ago and Becky Lynch is a Smackdown superstar.

Two subtle turns: 1) If they were running Kofi/Mustafa on a long gauntlet they really shouldnt have run the “remember Seth’s gauntlet” package on Raw. Reeks of one hand not knowing what the others doing.

2) Last week we discussed how predictable in match commercials had become. There was a spot in the Balor/McIntire match when Finn faked a suicide dive and I was sure it was commercial time....it wasnt.

I doubt theyre reading our nonsense but.....

3. Baron Scicluna

Heck, Charlotte is “scouting” Sunday’s match after I said they should have had Becky doing so.

Sometimes I do wonder ...

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Sooooo ... do they do an unthinkable and get the belt off Rousey ahead of WM? Becky comes down, costs Ronnie the match ala Stone Cold's antics back in the day. Giving the belt a shine on someone else, while still building mega heat toward Mania.

Of course not but it's worth thinking about I guess.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

ALSO, if any of you are keeping up with ROH. I went to the TV taping they had this past weekend in Lakeland, Fla.

Got to see Juice Robinson, Bandito, and the rest of Lifeblood, got my pic taken with The Kingdom, got to hold Taven's REAL ROH world title belt before some shenanigans (avoiding spoilers if you haven't already found out via Twitter), took some great pictures of the event, was third row hard camera side by the entrance to the left of the wrestlers.

Big take of the night, PCO ... wow. Dude is nuts for being 51 and doing what he does.

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

4 minutes they were able to sell out.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Problem was during the presale code thing they did, the scalpers ran rampant and lots of people got pissed about it.

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Read that shortly after. Fans were definitely pissed off.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  9. JimmyHoward33

I love this booking in theory but no way vs Ruby Riott sadly

Baron Scicluna and Tommy_Dreamer like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Sounds like a fun show. I saw PCO at an independent show a while back, and was surprised at how well he was doing. It’s nuts to think that he started in the 1980s, and the mid-80s at that, and he’s having a career renaissance.

11. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, that ain’t happening. Ruby is just filler at this point, although she’s talented enough for a push.

Another thing I liked about Smackdown last night was the short interviews all the women tag teams were able to do. We actually got to hear Morgan and Logan speak, and it adds to their characters to give them time for fans to learn about them.

12. JimmyHoward33

Discussion point:
    Assume Daniel Bryan keeps the wood on Sunday.

Is his Wrestlemania opponent someone in the chamber match with an issue that begins on the ppv, or do they wipe the slate clean and pivot to something else entirely?

Draft saved Draft deleted