1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

First five cut were: Isaac Bruce, Don Coryell, Tom Flores, John Lynch and Richard Seymour.
    Second five cut: Steve Atwater, Tony Boselli, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson and Edgerrin James

2. Della9250

Next year is a little light on first-year locks: Polamalu, Reggie Wayne and Patrick Willis are the first-timers with a real chance.

I bet they go Boselli, Faneca, Hutchinson, Polamalu and Willis.

Lynch is trending in the wrong direction.

3. nickp

nickp Active Member

Congrats to the legend Gil Brandt ! Pioneer of the scouting game

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm glad Gil Brandt, who actually was an historic front office guy, got in, and not just Bowlen, an owner who got sick.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the Broncos had the best regular season record in the NFL during the time Bowlen was owner - so that's something.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I didn't understand why you were so dismissive of his chances earlier. He was the best at his position for a very long time and history leaned toward it happening. It was his third or fourth time as a finalist and it's not a overwhelming class with a bunch of first-ballot guys.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He traded for John Elway. That's what you really meant and that's not nothing either. But I put owners way down in my worthiness for the Hall ratings.

8. Della9250

If you lined up all 4 of the lineman based on the traditional values shown in the voting, he would be either 3rd or 4th depending on the opinion of Boselli. I'm not saying he isn't worthy, but comparing to the others at the o-line position, he would not, or should not have been the top pick.

Mawae 3rd time as finalist: 241 games, 3 first-team all-pro, 4 second-team all-pro; 8 Pro Bowls, first-team all-decade
    Boselli 3rd time as finalist: 91 games, 3 first-team all-pro, 5 Pro Bowls, second-team all-decade
    Hutchinson 2nd time as finalist: 169 games, 5 first-team all-pro, 2 second-team all-pro, 7 Pro Bowls, first-team all-decade
    Faneca 4th time as finalist: 206 games, 6 first-team all-pro, 2 second-team all-pro, 9 Pro Bowls, first-team all-decade, Super Bowl ring

Just looking at the cutdown, I think it's obvious that Boselli, Hutchinson and Faneca cancelled each other out based on the voter preferences and Mawae ended up getting through.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He didn't even do that - came in after Elway was there. And I kind of think winning as an owner should be treated the same as making money as an owner - that's why you are there. I've seen a lot of quote from a lot of authorities who say "Oh yes he's an HOFer all the way" without really explaining what made his contributions unique. Maybe it is more the seven Super Bowls the team played in more than anything.

10. Della9250

Interesting look at this decade of voting.

Here’s the finalists left still waiting from previous years:

2017 – Tony Boselli, Isaac Bruce, Don Coryell, Alan Faneca, Joe Jacoby, John Lynch
    2016 – Steve Atwater, Don Coryell, Alan Faneca, Joe Jacoby, Edgerrin James
    2015 – Don Coryell, Jimmy Johnson, John Lynch
    2014 – John Lynch
    2013 – Art Modell
    2010 – Don Coryell and Roger Craig

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A offensive tackle and two guards inducted into a class of five? I don't see it. I would think they would take one receiver, either Issac Bruce or Reggie Wayne (pretty much a push statistically.)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  12. Della9250

If they go with another offensive guy, I bet it's James. He made the final 10 ahead of Bruce and I think voters are going to keep Bruce ahead of Wayne in the pecking order

Draft saved Draft deleted