1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2019.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think on a pod this week, Zach Lowe or Woj said that 40 percent of the league is FA this off-season. That's probably a little inflated - the last one to five guys on a 15-man roster are pretty much always on a single-year deal - but still, plenty of moving chairs this off-season. As far as the Wizards go, if you squint some of the players they acquired might have some potential, and they're basically punting on this year and looking for guys who could possibly contribute to 2020-21 and beyond.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The NBA is planning to let coaches have replay challenges next season. One per game on called fouls, goaltending, basket interference and balls knocked out of bounds, and none in the last two minutes of regulation or overtime periods.

NBA will allow coach's challenges this summer

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Considering how hamstrung they are because of Wall's injury and the size of his contract, you might as well see what you can find.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Pacers guard Darren Collison was a free agent this summer and probably would've gotten a $10-$12 million per year contract. Instead, he's retiring to focus on his faith as as Jehovah's Witness. Collison is 31 and has been in the league for 10 years with a bit of a journeyman's career (five teams), so it's not exactly an early retirement but he was pretty productive still.

Darren Collison: ‘I have decided to retire from the NBA’

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Woj on fire already

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess we have just given up on the pretense of not tampering.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Try again. The Charlotte Observer's Rick Bonnell was on it.

Regardless, Michael Jordan is cheap and Mitch Kupchak is another inept GM at the controls with the Hornets. Lots of role players on ridiculous contracts and the ONE player who can move the needle, score, wanted to be there and make a difference is the player they don't want to pay.

Bad move by Jordan. Enjoy the bottom again, Charlotte.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't know. I can see either side of this one.

Yes, he is the one player on that team who can move the needle and score. Even with him, though, they're a lottery team that's getting worse. I don't know that I'd have the stomach to pay the max for Walker in their shoes. The team stinks and is a year from getting out from some terrible contracts. He makes the cap situation worse and they're still losers with him.

I mean, they're screwed either way. They need to be stripped down to bare bones. I'm not sure that team should be tying up $32 million a year on anyone right now.

And yes, Jordan and Kupchak are useless.

sgreenwell and heyabbott like this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Rick Pitino: Serena Williams isn’t knocking at that door.

Draft saved Draft deleted