1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Lonely Island: Bash Brothers Experience. Loved it. Bizzare. Won't be sold at A's concession stands anytime soon, but oddly endearing of a particular time in a particular place.

Honestly - Sterling K. Brown was in that.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pirates GM wants rule change to take pressure off possibly concussed catchers

I'm not sure if this was already posted, but Pirates GM Neil Huntington is calling for a rule change regarding how potential concussion are treated in MLB games that would allow players to leave the game for a full concussion test, then return if they are cleared. The issue is catchers feeling pressured to stay in the game because most often there is only one other catcher on the roster. Of course, it's an issue because players can't return to an MLB game once they have been replaced.

The article actually mentions the NFL's concussion protocol as a model, which is funny because it has flaws of its own, but I'm all for anything that keeps athletes from participating in their sports with concussions, which is extremely dangerous. Then again, maybe Huntington should just make it policy that if there is reason to suspect one of his team's players has a concussion, he comes out no matter what, even if he insists he can continue.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Past the first post in baseball season - they could probably start the playoffs right now. Outside of maybe one of the Wild Card teams, doubt it would change much, nor impact who ends up in either LCS.

4. outofplace

The Red Sox may have a thing or two to say about that.

The leaders in three divisions currently have a margin of two games or less. Sure, the Yankees are more likely to pull away than fade as they get healthy, but things aren't nearly as locked in as your post would suggest.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Funny this discussion came up today. During my walk this morning, another walker with a Yankee shirt on ended up ahead of me and my Red Sox shirt. Try as I might, I could not catch up. I wanted to make a funny comment about Sox catching the Yanks. I thought at the time, that I hoped this was not an omen.

6. outofplace

They may not catch them for the division, but I wouldn't be shocked if they made the playoffs as a wild card and made the ALCS. I don't expect it, but it's certainly possible.

lakefront likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Twins will fade. The run differential means the W-L record is legitimate, but the hitters are playing way over their heads. And some team will have a crazy run during the second half.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Giants' roadie starting today: Miami, Baltimore and NY Mets, at the end of which we should know which team sucks the most. And it being the Giants wouldn't surprise me at all.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Went to the Yankee game tonight. Stayed dry despite the rain, but replay is a lousy way to and a game; especially live.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That's what you're gonna go with huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted