1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Printed paper tickets and took them to the gate for Saturday's Nats game.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I won't say he got an outrageously good deal, but it's not awful. He's scheduled to make $1.5M total for 2019-2021, then he hits arbitration until 2025. Who knows what his arbitration numbers will be, but if they're anything less than $80M total, he comes out ahead with this deal. To say nothing of the security he now has. He's set for life, no matter what happens next.

That's pretty attractive to a 20-year-old making $500k. Plus, he'll hit free agency in his prime, possibly setting him up for a $300-400M deal.

And the Braves get an extra two years of him at a damn good price while keeping him happy and (hopefully) productive. Seems like a win-win.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna, Vombatus and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This is awesome.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It does smell like pee more than any place I've been, and I've spent a lot of time in alleys in London.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the Braves control the options, he will not hit free agency in his prime. He would be 30.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just when you thought it was impossible to make the Giants' offense worse?

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Anyone wanna take a stab at explaining this one, cuz I got nothin'

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Saved some money at the back by spending at the front. That’s all I have.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I misunderstood the options. I thought they were for the last two years of the eight-year deal, not an additional two years, bringing it to 10/$124M.

Oh well, the guy is set for life and will likely get at least one more $100M+ contract. He may not be maxing out his potential earnings, but he is safely making a shit-ton of money with no risk of injury or failure costing him those "potential earnings." A bird in the hand, yada yada. If he's happy with it, he's not losing anything.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, that's just it. Even after taxes, he will have enough money to invest that he can live off the income almost tax-free and the principle will never be touched. So he doesn't max out. Why should he care when the max is just icing, not the cake.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that liquor in the front, poker in the back joke.

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted