1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Nats are 16-2 in their last 18, all against teams with winning records at the time. That's just absurd. No way they can keep that up.
    BUT, there's no reason to think they can't win four more. I think the AL teams are both better than the Nats. So were the Dodgers.
    You tell me they'll get swept, I can see it. You tell me they'll sweep, I can see it (though unlikely). You tell me it will be a nutbuster that goes 7, I can see it.

They're in it, no reason at all they can't win it. No way the four starters can keep up the recent pace but they're all legit and all had strong seasons. No one among the hitters did anything they hadn't done all year. Kendrick has been great with the bat, Soto and Rendon are standouts, etc. The bullpen with Doolittle off the DL and Hudson on the team has been much better.

They can damn sure win the Series. They are not a fluke.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Getting to rest Scherzer and Strasburg for a week should help - unless it cools off the bats. I think the Astros and Yankees will be using a lot of arms over the next five days.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The NY HOU series is 4 games in a row, if necessary Thursday - Sunday and the WS starts Tuesday. If it goes 6 or 7 those bullpen arms of the Yanks will get well used. If the Yanks can take 1 at home, the teams will fly to NY at 1 AM for an 8pm game. Nats fans really need the Yanks to win 1 more game.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Can’t leave out Jeff Reardon, especially in the 1992 World Series, either.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Kendrick will be the DH in games 1 and 2. Curious to see how Martinez manages the Nats lineup.

7. heyabbott

Matt Adams DH? Keep Kendrick at 2B.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Dozier is the best defensive option at second.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If it's the Astros in the Series, Nats should have AL park lineups with offense as its number one (and 2,3 and so on) concern. Natural AL advantage of having real DHs would be magnified by Cole and Verlander.

10. heyabbott

Against either team offense may be more necessary. Lots of Ks less balls in play. It’s a trade off that may be needed.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Nowhere else to put it.

Prospect Jacob Heyward was ejected for arguing a strike three call made by a robot ump in the AFL.

Watch Giants prospect get ejected on call by robot ump

The second photo in the Instagram post shows it was a strike. I don't think I have ever seen a pitch like that called a strike. The catcher caught it just above the dirt. Robot umps might bring a new dimension to the pitcher/hitter matchup.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted