1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 17, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I get why that failed test in 2002 -- which should never have come to light, btw, bc it was under seal -- would bother some people. But he never failed a test after that and he wasn't named in Mitchell Report. I don't think voters will hold it against him.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’m sure it’s all a big coincidence that he never hit more that 20 HRs in a season until he arrived in Boston and his slugging percentage jumped 100 points when he began playing with Manny Ramirez.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

He hit 20 home runs in Minnesota in 125 games the year before joining the Red Sox.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well that’s no fun.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

As I acknowledged in the post when I said he never hit more than 20 HRs in a season before going to Boston.

He hit one home run every 29 plate appearances in Minnesota. After joining Manny Ramirez in Boston, he began blasting one every 17 plate appearances. And despite the failed PED test, I'm sure that was a total coincidence.

I mean, this isn't rocket science or even conjecture. He failed a PED test. His slugging numbers jumped prodigiously beginning the same year he failed the test. Let's not pretend he's anything other than a guy who cheated his way to greatness.

6. CD Boogie

So why did he never fail a test again? You don’t take PEDs once and you’re all set.

7. bigpern23

I’m sure that, like many others, he beat future tests . But it doesn’t matter. He failed. He’s disqualified to me. The “well, he only failed one test” argument is asinine.

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

His failed test should never have been known. If you didn’t know about it, would you vote for him? Bc you can bet there are guys who weren’t caught who are in the hall.

9. bigpern23

Who cares if we were “supposed” to know about it. Why should we ignore it?

And, yes, I’m there probably are guys in the Hall who didn’t get caught. But that’s no reason to reward those who were caught.

10. CD Boogie

You should care about his rights, which were obviously infringed by releasing that test. Juries are told to ignore evidence. Can’t you?

JC likes this.
  11. bigpern23

Well since we can’t declare a mistrial and let him make his case again with a second career, I’m comfortable believing forever that he’s a cheater who doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

This isn’t a courtroom. We know he used. To pretend otherwise is absurd.

12. CD Boogie

Ok, so you’re a hardcore anti-PED guy. Understood. Would you have voted for bagwell, I-rod and piazza? Guys who were highly suspected? And where do you reside on Pete Rose?

Draft saved Draft deleted