1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Della9250

Veterans committee ballot has been released:

2019 Today's Game Era Ballot

Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Joe Carter, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, Davey Johnson, Charlie Manuel, Lou Piniella, Lee Smith and George Steinbrenner

Strongest candidates are Baines, Belle, Piniella, Smith, Steinbrenner.

I don't get Davy Johnson and Charlie Manuel over Jim Leyland, who is a Hall of Fame manager.

Also, considering that Rivera is a lock on the regular ballot, my guess here is Steinbrenner gets elected.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Baines = McGriff, so a no from me. Belle should be in. Steinbrenner? I wouldn't, but they will. No one else, though Morris likely opens the door for Hershiser.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It's not just the hip that cost Belle the Hall of Fame. Give him 58 more games in 1994 and 19 more games in 1995 from the strike years and he gets to 400 home runs, which I think for some stupid reason would've looked more compelling for the voters.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lee Smith should get in. And if Jerry Jones can get into the Football HOF, Steinbrenner belongs here. Especially since his teams won.

Chef2 and HanSenSE like this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Belle should definitely be in. He got robbed of his 1995 AL MVP.

Charlie Manuel? WTF?

Orel H.'s peak was great, but it was short. He had 2 shutouts total in the last 11 years of his career, with no black ink during that stretch, no ASG appearances or Cy Young votes. He did lead the league in losses in 1992, though.

I hate the Yankees and Steinbrenner, but personal feelings aside the guy made an indelible impression on the game. I'd put him in -- right after Pete Rose and Howard Spira. Which is to say, never.

EDIT: And yes on Jayson Stark.

7. Della9250

How does Morris open the door for Hershiser?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You can't really compare across sports like that. You've got two completely different sets of voters and the criteria aren't exactly the same.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know, I know. But Steinbrenner was a pivotal figure, for better or worse. And I'm far from a fan.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's qualified in the same way Charlie Finley is (speaking of guys who will never get in).

That's a pretty weak player group, though I think Will Clark was better than people remember.

Belle was an incredible hitter, but gave back a ton of value with his wretched defense. He was/is also a borderline sociopath, so there's that.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Ted Simmons was a better player than of these guys on the ballot.

That said, Lee Smith was a better pitcher than I remembered him. Joe Carter was worse than I remember.

12. Della9250

Today's Era ballot is always the weakest of the three because of the lack of candidates because of the restrictions on the rules and the recent nature of the candidates -- all of the guys who should be in are in. It also doesn't help when someone like McGwire isn't included.

Draft saved Draft deleted