1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 28, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Montana never 'mentored' Young.
    Favre never 'mentored' Rodgers.
    I think Brees has done quite a bit of it with Taysom Hill, but it's a rare thing.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do love this idea that vets are expected by sportswriters and fans to help train their replacements before being shown the door. Uh, Jack? This is Timmy one of our interns. We'd like you to take him under your wing, introduce him around the locker room to your sources, observe your writing process etc. Cool?
    Hell, I once had an editor who told us to "map our beats" - produce a document with sources and contact info, major issues on the beat in the future etc. I'd totally understand it if someone gives their two weeks notice - but this was newsroom wide. All sections.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hope people told that editor to fuck off. For one thing, it's a serious sin to give up your sources to anybody but editorial leadership with the presumption of confidentiality.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This is really the only one I could see, with Vrabel there. Has a Montana on the Chiefs kind of feel to it.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except that the Titans already have a better quarterback.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's just it. People seem unwilling to accept he's not too far above league average.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Alex Smith was a big help to Mahomes, which the latter readily acknowledges.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And I think that's being kind to him. He's well below average statistically this year, and I think the eyeball test was worse than the stats.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I did a moderately deep dive into his stats this year, and the one area where he was among the league leaders was turnover avoidance. Since Brady was among the leaders in pass attempts until the last few weeks of season, that's notable. Otherwise, he was average overall and way below average in yards per attempt and TD percentage. As I've posted here before, by my eyes Brady was much more willing to accept a play had no shot than in past years, leading to deliberately awful throws for the sake of turnover/sack avoidance.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Throwaways aren't intentional grounding. The rule on that is very specific and limited as another means of protecting quarterbacks. As long as it gets to the sideline and past the line of scrimmage, it ain't gonna get called.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That's why I suggested he would be a good fit in Tampa Bay - they seem like the team that would benefit most, going from a guy who turns the ball over constantly to one who doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted