1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Just saw where they took a shot at Sark.
    Props for trying.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

What's the best read on McCartney's tenure at Colorado? I was looking at some of the Sal Aunese stuff yesterday

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Sark might not be ready for a college town where weed is legal

Liut and Chef2 like this.
  4. HappyCurmudgeon

The 30 for 30 on him kind of fell flat.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

Heck of a coach. Prop 48 helped tremendously and the Big 8's academic standards for athletes would've made a local community college hide in shame, but he didn't do anything that Nebraska and Oklahoma weren't doing. I'm sure he didn't want his daughter banging half the team, but success has a price.

To his credit the program had 11 more years of pretty decent success under Neuheisel and Barnett before the Dan Hawkins experience ended the fun.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know I speak for all fellow Mizzou alums (excluding the man himself) when I say that sanctimonious prick can go to hell and take his fraudulent co-national championship with him.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With Sarkesian and Bienemy reportedly backing away within the last day - the Buffs are either close to naming someone or back to square one.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bert and Coors beer, a match made in Heaven. 173C9407-F1B7-4234-B1F3-8ECDC72436CB.jpeg

Liut likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think his religious and political views kept him from getting the credit he deserves. I think that as a result he was perceived by many as sanctimonious and that lead to him not receiving as much acclaim as he deserved. But he could recruit.

By the end of the Barnett era, the recruiting had fallen off. Colorado simply did not have te talent Oklahoma and Texas had. But Nebraska was mired in the Callahan regime and the two Kansas schools, Missouri and Iowa State sucked so Colorado could win the division.

Then Barnett got dragged into the rape allegations. The whole incident became a huge political football because the governor at that time, Bill Owens, and the President of the University had a visceral dislike for each other and Barnett, who was a good coach, got dragged into the shitstorm.

Liut likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This was posted on FB earlier this week:

Alabama Radio Station mentioned that since the last time USC played Bama (2016), the entire coaching staff has changed, 2 ADs removed, Administration and President cleared out, BUT.... Clay Helton is still there. Can anyone at USC explain this?...

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

About half (OK, that's hyperbole) of his players also got arrested, or had criminal offenses go uncharged by the Boulder police.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted