1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Was thinking about this earlier. Not that Wazzu doesn’t have its problems and limitations or that Pullman isn’t the worst location in the PAC-12, but is this even a better job? Have fun living in Starkville and getting beat down in the SEC. At least WSU was competitive.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Better talent to recruit and Leach likely still has some pull with recruits in Texas
    Don Mullen was respectable there
    I’m sure Leach can do the same

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Miss State is five years removed from being No. 1 in the AP poll and playing in the Orange Bowl. It's not impossible to win there.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Is it possible to win there without cheating or landing a Manning?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wrong school

wicked likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not impossible, just very difficult. Leach's history in his last two jobs indicate he can create teams which can give the established powers in the SEC West a bad afternoon or two but never grab the top prize.

Tweener likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agree with that assessment. I mean Virginia Tech made it to a national title game once and they've been chasing that high ever since. Still blows my mind that fans were complaining about being bored with the Orange Bowl every year. Spoiled.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that.

I was commenting more on the Washington State job and what it is now.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Jesus God Almighty.
    He got the state right though.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Indeed. Getting out of a place that even admits it is a “financially distressed institution” seems wise.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was going to start to go south with the media, too. He's not that fun to cover after awhile because it's all about him. National media loves it. Being around it week after week...

That's part of why I think he's in for a rude awakening. Washington State was largely content to breathe his air until this season. At Mississippi State, he'd better win 8/9 a year. Nobody needs to hear the pirate story at 4-8, nor will it be amusing.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And one of those eight wins has to come over a specific opponent, Ole Miss.
    Leach’s personality is a double edged sword. Pun intended. It helps bring his team attention , but it limits the jobs he can pursue. Normally, rescuing afterthought programs makes you a candidate for a top gig. See Mullen, Dan. Or Franklin, James. Not here.

Draft saved Draft deleted