1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If nepotism doesn't win out, Mark Stoops...the Iowa job is better than Kentucky. No monster basketball program overshadowing you and the Iowa fan base appears okay with 7-5 or 8-4 most years.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Again, I think Heupel jumps at the chance to get back into the Big 12.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

They are going to follow up a 13-0, 12-1 season with a 9-10 win year under a true freshman quarterback. They will be fine.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Few programs or fan bases are annually convinced of their imminent greatness more than the NC State Wolfpack, which hasn't won the ACC title since 1979.

maumann likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And nobody likes his son because he should do what the old man did and go be a HC in FCS.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Arizona State has trademarked the term "sleeping giant" - every coach is obligated to utter the phrase when they change coaches (in hoops and football) every four or five years.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The Bo Pelini saga has really interested me. He was very productive at Nebraska, but he hated the fans and the athletic director so despite going 67-27 in eight seasons he gets fired because he didn't win enough.

Nebraska has since been mired in mediocrity with no sign of that changing in the immediate future. Pelini didn't get a sniff at another head coaching job in FBS, so he took the Youngstown State job and had one great year surrounding some below average ones.

I always found it interesting that no one wanted to touch him after the Nebraska firing and especially after the 12-win season at Youngstown in 2016. I understand the concerns -- he's pretty much an asshole (although he was right about those fans and the AD) and he's kept his brother on his staffs even after Carl Pelini was busted doing coke while the head coach at FAU. I just figured by now he would have been back in FBS football, even if it's as a high priced defensive coordinator at a major program or a head coach at one of those struggling MAC schools.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nebraska is about to have its third straight losing season for the first time since the back end of a stretch from 1955-61.

9. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Are you suggesting that Iowa might hire the head coach of its bitter, largely disrespected in-state rival? I can assure you that’s not even a remote consideration. I’m not even sure Campbell would entertain that move.
    There’s an 80% chance Iowa’s next coach is its woefully underperforming current OC: Brian Ferentz, the current head coach’s son. I’d say there’s about a 2% chance BOB Stoops would try his hand at head coach there, but that seems pretty pie-in-the-sky. Maybe a 1% chance for Iowa alum Bielema, too, though he seems past his prime already...

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Before Clemson got its act together under Dabo, it and Arizona State were peas in a pod.
    Clemson's like the slacker sibling that finally grew up, became a late bloomer and got a decent job. Arizona State is keepin' it real, and still living with the parents while celebrating 4:20 every afternoon.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Awkward timing with the USC/Helton situation.

Bottom line, as I've posted previously: Helton has lost the recruits and he has lost the fanbase, so he has to go. It's a foregone conclusion. (Most recently, recruit Jack Yary decommitted from USC. His father, Ron Yary, is a legendary Trojan and the kid was raised to be a Trojan.)

USC's regular season is done. Typically, Helton would be fired today or tomorrow and an assistant would coach the bowl game, regardless of whether a replacement has been named. The twist is, the Trojans can still win the Pac-12 South if Colorado beats Utah next Saturday. So they need to continue preparing for the Pac-12 Championship and a possible game against Oregon. It wouldn't require deep-dive preparation because they played Oregon earlier this month (got their asses kicked). If USC wins the Pac-12 Championship, it lands in the Rose Bowl. Arizona State beat Oregon last night, and Colorado beat Washington** -- indicating Colorado is capable of playing with Utah, and Oregon is vulnerable in the championship game. Still, I wouldn't bet against either happening.**

With all of that still possible, when do you fire Helton? Recruiting is at a critical stage.

The Trojans were 3-3 after losing to Notre Dame (a close game). They won 5 of their last 6 and their last three in a row to finish 8-4. Does that indicate the team really improved? Or was it there all the time and Helton/staff just couldn't bring it out?

Replacements: I have no idea. Urban Meyer is the who the fans want for immediate credibility with recruits. I don't like the man or his immense amount of baggage. There have been no indications Meyer wants to coach again. He hasn't said he does, but also hasn't said he doesn't. Since he hasn't said he doesn't want to coach anymore, I tend to think he does.

**errors corrected.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One small correction: Colorado beat Washington. ASU beat Oregon. Your overall point stands.

It's tricky for USC. I suspect they pull the trigger next Sunday, assuming Utah wins. It would be easier if they had a clear replacement.

I was predicting Urban Meyer to USC for a year but changed my mind. I don't think the new administration wants any part of that, and I think Meyer waits for the Notre Dame job.

So... who? They really need to get it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted