1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when our high school soccer coach got us together to vote on All-Conference selections. No matter which name came up, our centerback chimed in "He sucks" with varying degrees of incredulity based on the player. After awhile I was like "shit, we went 7-12. These players can't all suck."

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

MLS will be out of season.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good thing Bettman isn't commissioner of the EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga/etc.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who has the TV rights for that WC? Fox? Will it put soccer on FNC or Fox Business since Fox and FS1 will have college football on Saturdays?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fox has Qatar and the North American World Cups. It got a sweetheart deal from FIFA when Qatar got the 2022 Cup and the games were not going to played in the summer like the contract called for.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If we had the NHL playoffs on the Golf Channel ...

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And the NFL on Sunday.

It's seven hours difference between the East Coast and Qatar (not sure if that changes in the fall with standard time), so they could play weekend games midday there, which would be morning here.

The final could come on a Sunday where Fox only has a late game, but it would face NFL games on CBS.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Damn on the analyst who is expecting a low-scoring game. I took the over at 16 goals.

I am still not 100 percent sure where I am being dragged to for the game, but I am going to be in the middle of a sea of French people. I'll even have the tricolere face paint and the maille bleus, so I can try to blend in, although I never seem to, amazingly enough. At least the ones who make their way to the U.S. tend to bathe consistently. So I'm expecting a good time.

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Damn, that brought me back. When I lived in L.A., the King's Head (right by the Pacific in Santa Monica) was also the only bar in Greater L.A. that showed Irish sports, which bothered me because it's an English pub. But you have to go where the games are playing.

Anyway I was there for the Ireland-France WC playoff in 2010, when Thierry Henry literally dribbled the ball with his hand before crossing for the key goal, but wasn't called for a handball. The King's Head has a bunch of rooms, and the French fans were one room over from the Irish. When the game ended, a 60-something Irishman I had been enjoying spending time with laid in wait for the first French fan to come out, bitterly cursed out a very shocked young Frenchwoman, and stalked out into the sunshine.

The beautiful game!

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

12. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

You seem so happy that your "wife" is from France. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted