1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 PGA Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just wondering, Chef, how much of a break those famed (and expensive) public courses give via the white and/or senior tees.

For instance, Cog Hill's famous Dubsdread is 7,554 from the tips, but 1,200 yards shorter from the white tees. Obviously it's still the same greens, hazards, etc., but at least us hackers who shoot in the 90s (or worse) and hit about 225 from the tee get a little break.

(Personally, Cog Hill No. 2 was always plenty of course for me when I lived in Chicagoland ... and much more affordable).

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It all depends. Eastward Ho! on Cape Cod is ranked one of the 100 best in the country, and it is more than tough enough for any pro. It only has whites and ladies tees, and isn't 6000 yards long. The perpetual 20 mph or more wind off the elbow of the Cape however, makes up for it. It has a par-5 that's 420 yards, and I defy anyone on this board to reach it in two, as it's straight into the wind. Course record is 67.

3. Another reason I'll stand in line to drop - $100 ? -to play Bethpage Black.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No doubt about it. Dye hasn't been thrilled with all the tweaks in recent years, including turning 12 into a driveable par-4. He's never believed in those, but they're good for TV so the Tour pushed it through.

Those "expensive" memberships you mentioned were (I think) $25,000, a lot of money back then but a pittance now for a nationally renowned course. When I played there regularly a few years ago, the few remaining guys with memberships had the first couple tee times every day. "The Munchkins" were very old but could still play, one was around 90 and a former Tour winner. But over a year's time, that's more than $1 million in $500 greens fees (plus all the other money tourists drop there), so once The Munchkins are gone there won't be any more members at the Stadium Course.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The 90-something former Tour winner is Billy Maxwell. One of the most delightful guys I ever interviewed.

6. playthrough

Thank you! I had "Billy" rolling around my head last night and for the life of me couldn't remember his last name.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think you stand in line anymore, which is sort of a bummer. It's $130 for non-NY residents and it's all booked on-line.

The original deal was $31.

Black Magic

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Tiger is back!!!!

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

SQUEE!

10. playthrough

BEAR TRAP!

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Decent card so far.
    2 birdies and a bogey.
    Did manage to make par from Cuba.
    EDIT:
    3 birdies, bogey and a horrific double on a downwind par 5.
    Seems like he hit the ball really really well.
    Even par 70.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The online tee time system at Bethpage is pretty clunky. Best bet is still to get there at the crack of dawn and jump in line.

The secret about Bethpage is it's often easier to get on the Black Course than it is the Red Course (which is also outstanding). You can take a cart on the Red. No carts scares a lot of people away from the Black.

If there's a big event on the Black in a certain year, it gets tougher. They have the PGA next year, so a lot of folks will try to get on the bad boy.

Still no better deal in golf than $65 (for a NY resident) to play the Black. Hell, the $130 isn't bad for a non-resident.

Draft saved Draft deleted