1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL off-season thread: Mr. Alex Smith goes to Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 30, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

when you are catching just about half your targets. That's a problem.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why exactly is she arm in arm with Dez if she's a reporter? Seems a bit unprofessional even if she does work for NFL Network.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I think the number is around 7.5 really good seasons and then the fall off becomes pretty noticeable. Dez is a little under that average right now. Anquan Boldin and Reggie Wayne were a little above that average. Chad Johnson was about right there.

Freaks of nature like Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald are obviously on a different scale than the normal top receivers. Randy Moss was actually around that average but he had a re-birth playing with Brady.

Antonio Brown and Julio Jones are at around six seasons where they are playing at exceptional level and both hitting 30 (Brown will be 30, Julio is 29), so we'll see what the next 2-3 years has in store for them.

QYFW likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rice wasn't just a freak of nature. He also had a well-earned reputation for pushing himself harder than just about everybody else.

Brown has a similar reputation in Pittsburgh, but I wonder how his game will hold up. The precise routes, body control and hands should be there even as he loses speed, but it's going to be tough for a smaller guy to get separation once he isn't so much quicker than most of his opposition.

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Imagine if he says "fuck it" and just called it quits.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If he didn't quit after leading the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history I find it hard to believe he'd quit after losing a Super Bowl, especially one where he was responsible for the turnover which was the game's decisive play (I know the fumble was caused by a terrific defensive play, but I also know that's how Brady looks at it).

John B. Foster likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I also think that if he is serious about launching his whole training/fitness empire, it's a strange way to roll it out. My guess is that this is someone in the Pats world telling him to shit or get off the pot before next Thursday.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sounds more to me like someone in the Brady world (his agent? Former teammate Danny Amendola?) throwing a little more shade at Belichick in their ongoing subterranean power struggle.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought this whole thing was just because Boston doesn't have anything to bitch and moan about currently. Bruins and Celtics lead their respective series, and the Red Sox have started hot. The story I read on ESPN was completely unsourced and vague. He has a contract for 2018 - He needs to check-in more than that to confirm that he's going to be back?

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Being reported that Sunday night season opener is Bears at Packers. #giddy

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Leaking the NFL schedule = leaking state secrets?

Draft saved Draft deleted