1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NBA playoffs running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’ll be the best post game ceremony ever to watch Lebron get the MVP trophy in Oakland

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You could probably say that about both of the Thomas trades when you look at how Clarkson is playing.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The best evidence of Kerr's effect on the team, look at the way the Ws were playing O under Jackson then look at 14-15 under Kerr. I have always given Jackson big credit for getting the Ws to play real D for the first time in 40 years (seriously, Nelson never thought much of D), well Musselman did but he got canned quickly). However, Jackson, always thought the iso mismatch was the best O available. So it was Barnes in post or even Jarret Jack! pounding ball >>> Curry, seriously. That was the fundamental flaw that told me Jackson would never win any more with the Ws. Kerr changed all that and unlocked the Curry & Thompson treasure chest, plus he inserted Green in the to starting lineup (when Lee got hurt in preseason; not sure DLee was going to fit Kerr's system anyways). Kerr sets a great vibe for the team, yet he also demands that people pay attention to the details and do their role within the system. IMHO that's coaching. Could others coach the Ws now? Maybe, but getting guys to maximize their abilities within their roles isn't easy, trusting players and showing confidence in them when others wouldn't, so they show up when needed, McGee, Bell and Nick Y. in Gm.7 of WCF, that's coaching.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Vegas seems to think that’s what will happen. They have the Sixers at 7-2 to win the 2019 title, right behind GS (5-4) and Houston (also 7-2). Cleveland opened at 30-1.

Personally, I’d much rather see Leonard or George in Philly. You think the Spurs would take Fultz and, say, Robert Covington and a draft pick or two in return?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume if LeBron joins the Sixers, we will swing back from "doesn't like having great players around him" to "doesn't like being the building block and wants to take the easy route by joining a great group."

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The thing is, I can see the rationale for the shitty team from a legacy perspective. LeBron can never match Jordan's perfect record in the finals. But him dragging this sorry-ass team to a title would be a greater accomplishment than anything Jordan did. Beating the greatest team ever assembled by himself is the only way he's ever going to be the undisputed GOAT, because any titles he wins in Houston or Philly will be dismissed as ring-chasing.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How many players have won titles with three different teams?

I’m pretty sure Robert Horry has, but the list can’t be much longer than that. And it almost certainly doesn’t contain guys who carried their teams like LeBron has.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And John Salley. DET LAL CHI

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Spider Salley and Big Shot Bob > LBJ

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Jay Caspian Kang's had a fun Twitter thing going past week, NBA Twitter Dark Web. The rules:

As part of that last night he wrote:

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Philly makes more sense than the Lakers. Unless the Lakers are committed to a roster upgrade, it's almost the same situation he's got in Cleveland, with the Pacific Ocean replacing Lake Erie. Plus, as noted, does he want to bang heads with the likes of Golden State, Houston, San Antonio and OKC on a nightly basis at this stage of his career?
    OTOH, he might be the one to tell LaVar Ball to STFU once and for all!

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LeBron picks up his option and stays for one more year. Cavs pursue makeover of team by chasing Paul George and Kawai Leonard. If that fails, all bets are off on LBJ staying another year.

Draft saved Draft deleted