1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 MLB Spring Training Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 14, 2018.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

But that talent will be nothing but a burden in a couple of years if you sign any of them to a long-term deal. Teams are getting smarter.

Steak Snabler and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, some of us (including me) made fun of the Eric Hosmer deal. But it's nowhere near as bad (or potentially cumbersome) as those contracts we saw a few years ago such as Albert Pujols, Pablo Sandoval, Carl Crawford and the Ryan Howard extension.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Almost like teams are smart

5. Steak Snabler

A steal from the Pirates it seems, since they don't have to add much salary (Hudson was due to earn $5.5M this year). Gray was a 13th-round pick out of Rice last June.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm sure he'd make a fine on-air analyst for the White Sox, DW.

Farmio and Stoney aren't getting any younger ... ;)

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pirates trade for an All-Star who hit one less homer than Andrew McCutchen the last two years. McCutchen hasn't been an All-Star since 2015.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean a steal for the Pirates? It does look like a good deal for them. Hudson is certainly no great loss for them.

That said, he's not McCutchen. McCutchen was better last year and the career track records are vastly different. TSP's post about All-Star games is silly for many reasons and his larger point is even worse. But hey, some people can't stand the idea that money dictates so much more of who wins and who loses in MLB than it does in the other major sports.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's not me. The Pirates are glad to get an All-Star.

10. Steak Snabler

Yeah, for. Sorry.

It's about money, obviously. Dickerson makes about 40 percent of what McCutchen does and probably produces about 60-70 percent of the value (depending on where McCutchen plays in the outfield).

That seems like a worthwhile swap.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. outofplace

So your argument is based on the Pirates PR folks trying to hype their new acquisition? You're funny.

12. outofplace

It's more chopping of salary that weakens the roster. I like the Dickerson trade, but overall the Pirates continued to put the bottom line first at the expense of the major league roster. Also, McCutchen's value to the Pirates went beyond what he does on the field. He was a hugely popular player in Pittsburgh. Locking him up long term was supposedly the proof that ownership was going to try to win. Selling him off showed that just isn't true.

Draft saved Draft deleted