1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Calgary clinches top seed in the West with a 5-3 win at San Jose, scoring three goals against the stumbling Sharks in 1:15 of the first period. Looks like San Jose-Vegas in the first round, with Sharks getting hone ice.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fun final week in the East setting up. Caps can finish no worse than second in the Metro if they get the full two points tonight in Sunrise, and they win the Metro with a win and a NYI regulation loss to Toronto. Columbus is surging and gets the Bruins tomorrow at home before closing out at NYR and OTT, which in theory should be an easy four points. Leafs-Bruins is set, but there are so many different scenarios for who the Caps and Lightning will draw in round 1 still in play. Montreal and Carolina probably scrapping for that final spot, and the Canadiens get a brutal final week (Toronto, Tampa, Washington). If they get in, they'll have earned it.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's going to be Vegas in the Pacific. Fleury is the man. Jones/Dell in San Jose are struggling and the situation is unsettled. Smith will find some way to screw it up for Calgary, he does something stupid every game. If Riddich hasn't beaten him out already, that tells you all you need go know about Flames goaltending.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

When Boston dumps Toronto in the first round like they surely will, the Leafs can look at their past two weeks as the reason for it. They went 2-4-1 in their past seven with six of them against non-playoff teams. No excuse for how poor their results have been.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This will be the first season since 2003-04 there are no hockey playoffs in Southern California. It was bad enough when the Kings and Ducks were both swept last year, but there will be no games this April.

Who should I root for to lift the Cup?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I suppose I am rooting for Tampa, or as we call them here, Rangers South. A part of me would like to see Winnipeg win it all. But I can live with anything except for Pittsburgh or Washington.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sharks :D:D:D

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Leaf fans have very little hope when Toronto faces Boston in the playoffs. Boston is in their head.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I almost typed "except for San Jose."

As a SoCal lifer, I cannot root for any Bay Area team, except Cal because my son goes there.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Must suck to be a Rangers fan right now. Or maybe at any time, who knows? Particularly since the Isles, who were supposed to suck, got pretty good pretty fast.

I think the Cup stays in the east - one of three teams. One of them you can probably guess.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It sucks b/c you had gotten so used to them making the playoffs and there was always at least hope that they could win a cup. They actually had 2 good runs in there where they came very close. That obviously isn't there now, but tearing it apart was the right thing to do. I just don't have much confidence in Gorton to do the rebuild. But he is getting the benefit of the doubt for now.

Watching a rebuild could be worse than it's been. Seeing some players develop and projecting how it can come together in the next few years has been fun. They had a decent haul in the draft last year and have gotten a lot of assets back. Plus, they are loaded with draft picks over the next 2 years, including several first and second rounders, so that is something. And the one thing about what David Quinn has done, they have never quit this year, and have kept most games competitive, even with the mediocre lineup they are putting out there right now. They even have won 2 in a row.

I think the Cup stays in the east, too. I don't think it is going to be Washington's year, but they are the defending champs, so. .... I know the history of Presidents Trophy winners, but Tampa looks so dominant to me, and putting aside rooting interest, they obviously should be the odds on favorite.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The first thing the Rangers need to do is make the obvious call on goalie and tell Hank to either accept being a backup and help teach the kid or find another team that wants a legend on his way down the hill. Quinn is a good coach especially considering his team is 50 percent AHL level.

Team with the most points since the trade deadline? The defending champs. I didn't realize that until this morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted