1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Cory Perry
    Ryan Kesler

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Too bad Pronger isn’t playing, he’d be in the top 5.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Dammit! Jake beat me to Bettman.

Is Reaves' hit on Wilson analogous to Evander Kane's takedown of Cooke?

Vombatus likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Ducks goalie Ryan Miller suffered a sprained MCL. They claimed Chad Johnson off waivers. That prompted this tweet:

chad johnson.jpg

Iron_chet likes this.
  6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

He loves to search his name for tweets like these.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ovechkin with a hat trick last night, Backstrom with four assists. I really hope Caps fans take the time to savor every moment with these two, because it isn't going to last forever.

Ovechkin with 25 goals in 30 games ... a 60-goal season suddenly seems very realistic.

Edit to add that his shooting percentage this year is stupid, 21.6. His career high is 14.6 back in '07-08. I would suspect that would normalize down to 16 or 17 percent by the end of the year, but that still would be pretty crazy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think it is 12 straight games with at least three goals - you'll win a lot if you can keep up that pace. They've won 10 of them, the two being the blown 5-1 lead vs. Anaheim (shit happens now and then) and the Reaves-Wilson game in Vegas. I figure they have to cool off soon but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Milbury, who has often been an Ovi critic, called him the greatest goal scorer ever last night

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Got drunk, won trivia, decided on a whim for a quick roadie to Raleigh tomorrow. You Canes fans make it easy. $65 for lower-level, Caps shoot twice? I paid $83 for the front row upper deck at Capital One.

Also, Fridays off rule.

Also, also, I might just be addicted to hockey at this point. I don't hate it.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank Tom Dundon.

Fired Ron Francis, botched the way he handled it by ordering him not to go to the ESA - since he still had a title and all - and eventually had to announce that he relieved him of all duties. Handed the reins to Don Waddell when no one else would take Dundon's insulting lowball offers because he knows more about hockey than people who have been immersed in the game their entire lives. Pure brilliance.

Gave away Jeff Skinner. Oops. Now looking for a top-six forward. Wait ... so Skinner was the problem, and NOW you bleat about a top-six forward? Yes, he's playing with Jack Eichel and that wasn't happening in Raleigh unless Eric Staal stepped back to 2005. (Oh yeah ... Eric Staal looks good in the Twin Cities).

Take a look at Bill Peters, Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin in Calgary. Guess they were problems, too. Take a look at how shaky Dougie Hamilton is in Raleigh these days.

What a mess. Well on the way to a 10th consecutive season of missing the playoffs.

Enjoy the ESA, Cosmo.

11. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

But, but ... those "spontaneous" victory celebrations.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought the Canes might be decent this year after their strong start. They always give the Caps a hell of a game, so I'm expecting no less tonight. Will be my fourth trip down there for a game, always a fun time.

Draft saved Draft deleted