1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

There’s probably no doubt he can still play in the league, but it’s not like during the Olympics he was playing against NHL’ers or shooting on NHL goalies.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Can some of the players volunteer to restructure in order to ease cap space, or is that even possible in the NHL?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Vegas is your perfect example of not paying your scrubs, let your young guys play.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Nice job fucking things up, Caps front office

heyabbott likes this.
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm stunned and saddened. I'd love to know what really happened - did he quit now because he's pissed over what happened earlier this year or did they lowball him now?

[​IMG]

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's such a weird thing.

If they had extended him and the Caps had lost before the conference final again, they would have had no recourse but to keep him. And fans would be killing McLellan for it.

I'm sad to see Barry go, but as long as Rierden gets the gig, I don't think it's a total loss.

Barry's a class guy, and I give him a ton of credit for getting this team in position to win a Cup. Best to him.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just listened to Elliotte on Sportsnet and he summed it up pretty well. It would seem that both parties are happy to say, "Thanks for everything" and move on. Trotz's signing four years ago was in the $1.5 per year rane but since then Leafs signed Babcock for about $5 a year and set a new bar for coachs' salaries. Caps can get Rierden for a lot less than Trotz who may be heading to Islanders for a lot more than Caps would offer.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I’m guessing the Caps didn’t want to pay Trotz the $5-6 million a year he deserves.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just read that Babcock is at $6.25 mil per year, Joel Queeneville is at $6 mil and Claude Julien is at $5 million. The Stanley Cup clause in Trotz's contract extended him for 2 years @ only $300K more, so he would have been bumped up to only $1.8 mil.

I am betting Lou Lamoriello pounces and Trotz is coaching the Islanders by end of day Wednesday.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or he may take a year and wait to see what opens up, or see what opens up during the season. Are the Islanders worth coaching if they lose Tavares?

Draft saved Draft deleted