1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not to totally shoehorn it, but Beagle is even older than Boyle was during that offseason I am talking about. If anyone is offering Beagle multiyear, let alone at a salary that pushes what he's probably worth, I'd be really careful with it if I was MacLellan. I hate saying that, because I really like Beagle as a player, and hope he has many good years left. The risks are there, though, if he is looking to step up his salary into the $2 to $3 million range (I don't know the number they are talking about with him, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is what he is thinking).

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone will give him 3/10

3. The Big Ragu

Maybe I have no sense of the market. ... but at his age and with his skills, I was guessing more like 2/5. Notwithstanding if the Caps could even make that work with their cap, I'd still have reservations on that contract (let alone a 3 year deal at more $$).

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Does Tavares stay with the Islanders or go elsewhere?

Where will Kovalchuk land and does he have anything left?

Will Buffalo squeeze the life out of Rasmus Dahlin?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Will Slava Voynov clear up his legal problems and be allowed to return to the NHL? Will any team want him?

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Jagr was about 33 when he returned to the NHL. Kovalchuk is 35.

Yes, Jaromir is a fitness nut, however, I do think Ilya has a few good years left in the tank. He has a tremendous shot and if he can play on a line with a great playmaker, he will bury some goals.

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Regarding Dahlin, he’s on the same level of prospect that McDavid and Matthews were when you talk about a d-man. He’s the real deal and will excel anywhere he plays, even Buffalo.

Now with Snow gone, there is a possibility Tavares decides to return.

8. The Big Ragu

I paid particular attention to Kovalchuk during the Olympics, because there had been reports about the Rangers talking to him. He can still play in the NHL, and at a very high level. If anything, from my memories of him as a player, he seemed to have transformed a bit into a player doing more stuff off the puck. I think someone is going to be happy with what they get, when they sign him. The question is price and term on the contract.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Teams cannot fall in love with players like Jay Beagle. They are a nice story and usually get far to much credit as integral pieces on championship teams. They are a dime a dozen and can be had at the end of summer for peanuts.

The biggest mistake teams make is falling in love with replaceable depth players on your 3rd and 4th lines and overpaying them. Pay your talent and don’t put yourself in cap hell by signing depth guys to any contract that has term on it.

ChrisLong and dprince57 like this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I sure as hell hope not. He’s a pig.

ChrisLong and dprince57 like this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree, and I suspect McLellan does as well. Though having watched Beagle on the regs for a bunch of years now, I think he's a little better than your garden variety 4C. Still, it would be a mistake for someone to sign him expecting top-9 production. Carlson has to be the No. 1 priority by far. Homegrown No. 1 defensemen don't come along very often. He deserves to be paid at the level of Kuznetsov and Oshie.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I agree on all counts - but I still think someone will over-offer Beagle. Never said it would be the Caps. Would love to see him on that team for the entirety of his career but as JC wisely noted, not at a big price.

Draft saved Draft deleted