1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Spike needs a step ladder to give blowjobs. He’s not going anywhere.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but this is different. I voted for 6 NHL Awards. I get lobbied all the time -- by coaches, execs, players, agents, etc. That's just part of the process. All votes become public, and I can handle it no problem. This is not the same, not at all. If I don't pick someone to win the Hart Trophy, I'm not costing him $31M.

This is far, far different. It's not carrying water. Much more of an impact than that.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is on the players, if they consider it a problem. The union approved it during the last CBA.

And frankly, I am not going to lose sweat over Kemba Walker or Klay potentially losing $31 million.

$100,000 is life changing money to many people. $31 million to those players won't change their life one iota.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Two things:
    1) Your first point. This. The players set this scenario up by agreeing to let jamokes who can't possibly watch every single game and will likely have regency bias dictate who was going to get these awards and have it tied to player salary. Some people take it seriously, but—as we saw with Dan Le Batard and his farming out his baseball hall of fame vote as a joke—some do not take such things seriously. What's the fix? No clue, but it is for sure on the players.

2) Your second point is also correct. Getting $190+ million verses $220+ million is not going to make a damned bit of difference. It's more about the respect than the money. Klay is going to be considered one of the best guards of this generation of players (not all time, but this generation Top 10) especially when you factor in his defense. The ability to say he's a super-max player should be a no-doubter but he's not going to get that respect because the media valued Kemba Walker more than Klay. Not that they're wrong to say Kemba had a better regular season, but it does deny a Top-10 guard that respect.

Tweener likes this.
  5. heyabbott

That seems to be on the players and league, using an award based on subjective analysis by outsiders. Tough shit on Klay for being part of a league that values him less than Kyrie Irving.

6. poindexter

I heard one of the ESPN nba writers on a Russillo podcast this spring. I forget who it was. It was obvious he put a lot of thought into all 15 selections. He spent more time talking about the reasoning behind his selections than I spent picking a college to attend.
    I doubt all are like that.

Marvin Bagley got a third place vote. Eric Gordon got a third place vote
    Antetokounmpo, Harden lead All-NBA First Team | NBA.com

Tim Legler was on Dan Patrick this morning. He said if you polled all 30 gms, it would be 30 for 30 taking Klay over Kemba. And I watched the Celtics playoffs. I would throw Kyrie in there as well.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Curry got an All D vote. So did Jordan Bell. Ridiculous.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. poindexter

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's a regular season award though, and one of the criticisms of the Warriors the past couple years has been that they don't take the regular season seriously. I think Thompson is better than Walker - not sure if he's better than Beal, who finished 7th in the vote tally for guards - but I also imagine it might be hard for some voters to "un-see" him coasting at times because of the other talent on the team.

The stuff like Bagley and Gordon getting votes doesn't bug me as much, because the writers seem to do it less than the other entities that have been responsible for these votes in the past - fans, players and coaches. Its not that I think the media is infallible when it comes to the voting, but they're just the least worst option here.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Hell Wade got a second-team vote.

11. poindexter

Jordan Bell played 11.6 minutes a game and missed 14 games.

He must have been playing some hellacious defense in those 11.6 minutes a game.

12. heyabbott

Does LeBetard have a vote?

Draft saved Draft deleted