1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 US Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No issues with screaming.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If these people were smart, they would yell out sponsored tag lines. "Budweiser - The King of Beers!" "JUST DO IT - NIKE!"

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Sorry for the super late quote reply, but I'd been meaning to get to this one since I saw it. There are a couple issues in play here that are worth discussing. One is that a course has to be relatively near a major metropolitan area for logistics reasons. The other is that several courses that qualify that way have 'aligned' with the PGA, either for that tournament or the Ryder Cup.

Looking at the major cities of the Midwest, you're probably looking at these cities/courses: Detroit (Oakland Hills), Milwaukee (Whistling Straits and/or Erin Hills), Twin Cities (Hazeltine), Chicago (Cog Hill, Medinah, Olympia Fields), St. Louis (Bellerive), Louisville (Valhalla).

Ohio would be fine if not for a different problem: the Tour plays two of its best non-major events there each year, at Memorial and Firestone.

We threw out a couple of those for not being up to it, but five of those courses have hosted the PGA and/or the Ryder Cup in the last 20 years and Bellerive has the PGA next year. So unless there's a US Open-quality course in the Indianapolis area I don't know about, there's not really many places in the Midwest for them to go.

Erin Hills didn't do much for me. Found it kind of generic and the weather/setup made it feel even more generic. Blah.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tend to agree. Was looking forward to the new course and they took a gamble with the runway-sized fairways ... and lost after all the rain. And we ended up with Tiger's debut PGA tournament at the Greater Milwaukee Open. No flyover U.S. Opens until at least 2027 and even then we're looking at closer to 2030 before going back to the CDT. MDT has no chance. Back to the coastal Opens.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Inverness?

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The rap has always been it's too short. I know it had the NCAA Championship there in '09; not sure how long the course is now. Of course, as Erin Hills showed, length is overrated. In overall length, there probably isn't a great difference between Inverness and Merion, which worked a few years ago.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2018 (June 14-17) Shinnecock Hills Golf Club Southampton, N.Y.
    2019 (June 13-16) Pebble Beach Golf Links Pebble Beach, Calif.
    2020 (June 18-21) Winged Foot Golf Club Mamaroneck, N.Y.
    2021 (June 17-20) Torrey Pines Golf Course San Diego, Calif.
    2022 (June 16-19) The Country Club Brookline, Mass.
    2023 (June 15-18) Los Angeles Country Club Los Angeles, Calif.
    2024 (June 13-16) Pinehurst Resort & Country Club Village of Pinehurst, N.C

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Southern Hills in Tulsa isn't on here.
    They had to go back to what I call the old school opens. With Chambers Bay the year before, and Erin Hills this year, the new school big-boy golf courses for The Opens will take a back seat for a decade or so.

IMO, there's no reason you couldn't host a US Open at The Broadmoor. It doesn't have to tip out at 7900. Hell, they are hosting the Senior Open there next year.
    Like milehigh, I would love love love to see it at Cherry Hills someday.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Southern Hills hosted the PGA in 2006 and the USGA and PGA have long made courses pick between which organization they want to align with. I personally think its petty and short-sighted. It's actually kind of interesting to see how a Southern Hills plays in a PGA compared to an Open.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is noteworthy that Merion, which was said to be way too short for today's players and which also had a torrential rainstorm a day or two before play began, had an over-par winning score. It is easier for the USGA to make the old courses more extreme (that's what they like, for better or worse) than a place like Erin Hills.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right, but they're going to need big-time rough next year to combat the lack of length. Especially because the USGA should be on their best behavior with the greens. They'll be fast, but not dead.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Indianapolis has Crooked Stick, but it's in the rotation now for the BMW Championship and probably finished as a major host. The Pete Dye course down in French Lick would be interesting (very long from the tips, with plenty of Dye craziness) but the logistics wouldn't support a major.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Didn't they have either a Senior Open or Senior PGA there a couple years back?

Draft saved Draft deleted