1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 US Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 3, 2017.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Koepka can bomb it, but his putting on Sunday was stellar, that's why it turned into a runaway. I feel for Harmon because it looked like he had the greens down pat and was just lipping some out (plus he hit driver when Koepka was hitting hybrid).

Matsuyama is the new Couples, he hits it closer to the flag than anyone. He does not look good over putts though.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fox is pushing Buck down the same overexposure trail that Curt Gowdy trod in the 70s. But as noted, if you're an established golf announcer who would like to be in the tower on 18, do you leave for Fox and its handful of USGA events?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I ran across a golf tournament on FS1 - the Women's Senior US Open, or something like that. I was shocked to hear Buck doing it. Must have been for the practice.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is Buck any more overexposed than Nantz? Both have NFL and golf (Nantz has considerably more, including two majors), plus baseball for Buck and college hoops for Nantz. I don't think of either as overexposed, just workhorses.

5. Shinnecock Hills next year?
    Come on!!!
    Bethpage Black or go home!!!!!!!!

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I imagine the USGA will go overboard the other way and make Shinnecock ultra-tough.

I'd also prefer to see it back at Bethpage Black. But, it does host the 2019 PGA Championship and the 2024 Ryder Cup. The setup for the PGA will likely be similar to the Barclays, where around 8-under will win. And I think it's going to be a fantastic venue for the Ryder Cup.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'll forever remember on 18 Pavin went driver (sliced/fade about 210), then 4-wood (220 home). That guy was the ultimate grinder and loved that he won.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The USGA blue blazers get all tingly over Shinnecock. Tons of history and Opens with winning scores around par. And it's only 7,000 yards so the USGA will pull out all its tricks. The superintendent was probably told this morning to stop cutting the rough.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It wasn't the rough that made Shinnecock unplayable in 2004. They stopped watering the greens. USGA admitted the mistake.

10. Agree on the Ryder Cup. That will be a great venue for that event.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

People who thought the Wisconsin fans were over-the-top with the yelling at the U.S. Open? Hoo boy. New Yorkers will take it to another level at the Ryder Cup.

(For the record, I think the screaming is annoying, but I have no strong opinion either way, other than I wish the content would be more original.)

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's normally amusing like once a weekend. The guy who yelled "X GON' GIVE IT TO YA!" after Schauffele teed off on Friday gets a couple originality points. Problem is it inspires more copycats than Idiots on the Field, because they're much harder to track down.

Draft saved Draft deleted