1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Tupac Shakur-No (but I'm somewhat moved by the post above about radio stations in the 70s segregating rock n' roll -- and following the argument that rap artists descend directly from James Brown, Tupac is one of a handful that would deserve the honor)
    Pearl Jam-No doubt about it.
    Journey-Yes (not a big fan personally, but they were a huge band with a succession of massive albums. And while they might not be critics' darlings, it's not easy to produce album after album of listenable, enjoyable, well-crafted and impeccably played songs. AOR bands of the 70s and early 80s like Journey, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick, Foreigner, Styx and the like deserve a hell of a lot more credit than they get for what they did. There's a reason they were more famous and successful than a lot of critical favorites who were only appreciated by pompous scenester writers and record store clerks -- they were actually better.)
    Depeche Mode-Yes (not a big fan of the genre but it deserves representation and they're the most deserving)
    Jane's Addiction-No
    ELO- No
    Joan Baez-Hell no
    Bad Brains-No
    Steppenwolf-No
    The Cars-Yes
    Chaka Khan-No
    Chic-No
    J. Geils Band-Yes (plus, the only rock star I've ever bumped into in public is their keyboard player, Seth Justman, three times -- twice while we were both waiting to get our Macbooks serviced at an Apple Store in suburban Boston and once in the Detroit airport making connections. He's pretty recognizable. i'm not)
    Yes-Absolutely. Should have been in 20 years ago
    The Zombies-No
    Janet Jackson-No

And the RRHOF's insistence on ignoring the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal." No nominations for Judas Priest, Motorhead, or most glaringly, Iron Maiden (almost 40 years in, they're still selling out arenas worldwide and they're still producing outstanding music -- their latest album, Book of Souls, is an absolute steamroller). For some reason, rock critic types decided that Black Sabbath and Metallica are enough to represent the entire metal genre, which is completely wrongheaded.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am not a metal guy, but I'd think Motorhead and Judas Priest have more standing for HoF than Iron Maiden.
    And I like 'Run to the Hills,' even though I'm not a metal guy.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Great point about radio segregation. I always find it amusing when the Beastie Boys come on alternative rock radio. Black guys could record the same song and it would never play on Lithium.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I love Jane's Addiction, but they should be permanently banned just because of the world-class douche Dave Navarro has turned into.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam blows. Even if you like the band, tell me one interesting aspect of their sound. Warmed over classic rock through a prism of early '90"s indie music.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Depeche Mode is a definite Yes.

7. Songbird

Gonna be a Depeche Mode and Dodgers kind of night.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wasn't a huge alternative fan, more into classic rock at that time, then kind of got into grunge. But doesn't Depeche Mode have a greater body of work (Mike and Mad Dog talk) and more longevity than New Order/Joy Division.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nope.

Joy Division formed in 1976, released their debut in 1978. Their lead singer, Ian Curtis, committed suicide in 1980 and the band continued on as New Order. They're still together.

Depeche Mode formed in 1980, although some members played together going back to 1977. Their debut came in 1981, and they're still together.

I would argue that Joy Division/New Order are the far more influential band of the two, and just top to bottom a superior band. Both belong in the Hall, but JD/NO has a much stronger claim to it.

10. Songbird

Depeche Mode's top-shelf library is far more vast than JD/NO's.

cjericho likes this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Joy Division had only two studio albums. Do you think just New Order should go in? Guess it's a little like Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett, although they always were Pink Floyd.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You could split them that way, but those two albums were massively influential in the alternative music that followed and it's essentially the same band. I think they should combine them, but if/when there's actually a nomination I suspect it will just be New Order.

Draft saved Draft deleted