1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Brass rings and all that. Nobody thought JBL was a hall of famer before he got a long title run, either. There's some other guys that have held the belt (or Goldie) that never struck anyone as main eventers before they got it, but became credible because of it.
    I'm willing to give Jinder a chance and see where this goes. Maybe we look back in six months and say, "Holy shit, this guy is really good. He got an opportunity and really ran with it."
    That said, he is certainly one of the most bizarre choices they could have made to try this with. Two months ago he was jobbing to and almost concussing Finn Balor. I reserve the right to say, six months from now, "Holy shit, I can't believe that really happened."

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Transitional champ.

Or, the page after the House of Horrors match in the WCW Playbook was undeserving champ. Shoulda seen it coming.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

And judge me all you want, I laugh my ass off when the Fashion Police are on the screen. I wonder what they think of the bro romper?

KYSportsWriter and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Same. They got a little Edge/Christian with the kazoo's vibe going.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that the guy landed on his head. If you look at Randy right after, he has a look of "yeeech."

6. Baron Scicluna

This morning, we are waking up to Donald Trump being our president, the Cubs as defending World Series champions and Jinder Mahal as WWE champion.

What the hell is going on here?

Batman likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

David Arquette must be getting prepared for another run.

8. Baron Scicluna

DiBiase hasn't been technically recognized as champion, but he did have a couple of house show title defenses after Andre gave him the belt and before Jack Tunney's ruling aired. It's one of those quirks of wrestling history.

Adding to your list:

Harley Race
    Rick Rude
    Curt Hennig
    Scott Hall
    Davey Boy Smith
    Greg Valentine (kinda, another unrecognized thing where he kinda won the belt from Backlund)
    Ricky Steamboat
    Don Muraco
    Tito Santana
    Big John Studd
    King Kong Bundy
    Jerry Lawler
    Jeff Jarrett
    Bam Bam Bigelow
    Paul Orndorff
    Christian
    Kamala

All inferior to fucking Jinder Mahal.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

True, but JBL actually had some buildup, and had been in the mid card for years as Bradshaw, so it was more of a new character adding that last bit of intensity to put him over the top.

Mahal? He was the third guy in 3MB. Was the Brooklyn Brawler or Knuckleball Schwartz not available?

10. Baron Scicluna

I don't usually get to watch Smackdown, so I hadn't been aware of Breezango becoming such a comedy act. I laughed my ass off at their match last night.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was pretty funny. I loved Breeze's mop-fu.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

AJ Styles and Kevin Owens are feuding for the U.S. title, and Jinder Mahal is the friggin' WWE champion.

Draft saved Draft deleted