1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Supposedly, the champion is supposed to be able to defend himself, although when Bryan beat Big Show, Show was still laying there knocked out.

No real consistency with it.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

But last night's Cena-Mahal match wasn't for the title, was it? So Corbin didn't cost himself anything.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, he was saying Cena cost himself a shot at the title if Corbin had been successful with his cash-in.
    Of course, if Corbin had won then Nakamura should have been facing Corbin on Sunday since Nakamura won the title shot at Summerslam.

4. Baron Scicluna

Kayfabe-wise, though, that's the thing about inconsistent rules. Would the opponents have been switched, or stayed the same and Corbin/Cena becomes a title match? All of which also would have become more complicated if there had been a contract signing. Do the contracts have any contingencies in it for titles lost between the time of the signing and the match?

These things keep me up at night.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Thought he meant Corbin. I'm in the camp that in story, Cena was out of it and wasn't clear a match was going on when he climbed on the apron.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If they were going with that kind of storyline, they'd probably make it a Fatal Fourway, with Mahal getting his rematch, Nakamura getting his title shot and Cena vs. Corbin still part of it. But there's no way they'd do that with Nakamura's first title match.

7. Baron Scicluna

Yeah. Modern-day booking. But first, they have to bring Teddy Long out to make a tag team match before they create the Fatal Fourway.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

"Cena and Corbin, you guys want to fight so bad, this match has now become... A TAG TEAM MATCH! John Cena and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Baron Corbin and WWE Champion Jinder Mahal. And that match starts .......... NOW!"

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

You forgot "PLAYA!"

JRoyal and Baron Scicluna like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Watching Corbin's cash-in live, I was instantly to the edge of my chair telling the GF "holy cow, Baron Corbin is about to be WWE champ!" ... And then I was laughing my ass off at how he failed.

So, to me ... good booking. I didn't see what was about to happen before it did.

rb

jpetrie18 likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Rating excitement level for the weekend's matches, 1-10 with 10 being most.

Tozawa/Neville-----6
    New Day/Usos----7 (How is this on the preshow? Smackdowns best feud by a mile)
    Hardy/Jordan vs Miztourage----- Match 3, hearing Brooklyn chant Broken Hardy stuff 9
    Naomi/Natalya----4
    Bliss/Banks----7
    Jinder/Nakamura----Nak's entrance/title win 9, match or if Jinder wins 4.
    Orton/Rusev---2
    Big Show/Cass---1
    Balor/Wyatt----5
    Cena/Corbin----6
    Styles/Owens---7
    Cesaro-Sheamus/Shield----6
    Main event----10 (Hoss match with what feels like an unpredictable finish? Sign me up).

Takeover
    AOP/Sanity----5
    Asuska/Ember----4 (This should be Nikki Cross. Moon does nothing for me)
    Gargano/Almas---5
    Black/Itami---7 (This new heel Itami character could be pretty great)
    Roode/McIntrye----7 (Feels like Roode wins or Strong gets involved but should still be pretty good)

Draft saved Draft deleted