1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

My picks for who the 25 semifinalists will be:
    Kurt Warner
    Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Edgerrin James, LaDainian Tomlinson
    Isaac Bruce, Torrey Holt, Terrell Owens, Hines Ward
    Tony Boselli, Alan Faneca, Joe Jacoby, Mike Kenn, Kevin Mawae, Steve Wisniewski
    Jason Taylor
    Carl Banks, Karl Mecklenburg
    Steve Atwater, Brian Dawkins, Ty Law, John Lynch
    Morten Andersen
    Don Coryell, Jimmy Johnson

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No love for Sam Mills?

3. Della9250

He would have probably been No. He was a semifinalist last year but I think the voters will make Banks a semifinalist over him (just a hunch based on their makeup). If I miss on a guy, it will probably be Mills.

4. Della9250

26 semifinalists announced

Morten Andersen
    Steve Atwater
    Tony Boselli
    Isaac Bruce
    Don Coryell
    Roger Craig
    Terrell Davis
    Brian Dawkins
    Alan Faneca
    Chris Hinton
    Torry Holt
    Joe Jacoby
    Edgerrin James
    Jimmy Johnson
    Mike Kenn
    Ty Law
    John Lynch
    Clay Matthews
    Kevin Mawae
    Karl Mecklenburg
    Terrell Owens
    Jason Taylor
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Hines Ward
    Kurt Warner
    Darren Woodson

I got 23 out of a projected 25. Hinton seems like it came out of nowhere.

My picks for the 15 finalists are:
    Morten Andersen
    Steve Atwater
    Isaac Bruce
    Don Coryell
    Terrell Davis
    Alan Faneca
    Joe Jacoby
    Edgerrin James
    Ty Law
    John Lynch
    Karl Mecklenburg
    Terrell Owens
    Jason Taylor
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Kurt Warner

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm predicting Ward, Dawkins and Holt get the nod over Mecklenburg, Bruce and Ty Law.

6. Della9250

The 15 finalists have been announced:
    Morten Andersen
    Tony Boselli
    Isaac Bruce
    Don Coryell
    Terrell Davis
    Brian Dawkins
    Alan Faneca
    Joe Jacoby
    Ty Law
    John Lynch
    Kevin Mawae
    Terrell Owens
    Jason Taylor
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Kurt Warner

I had 12 of the 15: Boselli, Dawkins and Mawae were my misses. Big disapointment that Atwater took a step back.

My picks for the Class of 2017:
    Don Coryell
    Joe Jacoby
    John Lynch
    Terrell Owens
    LaDanian Tomlinson

I could see either Coryell or Jacoby's slot going to Dawkins.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Do not get the non-love for Roger Craig. One of the best all-purpose RB's ever.

8. Della9250

Craig gets slotted as the worst of the backs who get to the semifinal list -- LT eligible this year hurt both him and James. The voters love Davis but never enough to put him in.

Craig's got a decent chance going forward because LT is going in immediately and there is really nobody in the pipleline for the next decade, which means once Davis gets in its down to him and James.

You can see the slotting in this ballot at just about every position with multiples:

It goes Tomlinson then Davis.
    It goes Owens, then Bruce
    It goes Lynch, Dawkins, Law
    It goes Faneca, Jacoby, Mawae, Boselli

The only way someone bucks the order to get in is Jacoby, since he's waited so long.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't get slotting Bruce over Holt

10. Della9250

Isaac Bruce 223 games 1,024 catches for 15,208 yards and 91 touchdowns, 14.9 yards per catch
    Torry Holt 173 games 920 catches 13,382 yards and 74 touchdowns, 14.5 per catch

When you look at the totals, Bruce has him beat comfortably in all three career categories and I'm sure that's what the voters see.

11. Della9250

I know we had the discussion about Boselli last year when he made the semifinals for the first time, but he is the one I just don't get -- especially when the senior pick this year is basically him. Somehow, in an era with more than enough qualified candidates, Boselli avoided Kenny Easley's fate as being the senior pick in 2038.

The fact that Chris Hinton made the semis also baffles me, but I would have put just about any other semifinalist -- Kenn, Mecklenburg, Atwater, James, Craig, Woodson or Holt as a finalist before Boselli. And before someone brings but Davis, I don't think if he does get in, it should be the senior route as well. But the difference between him and Boselli are things Boselli couldn't control -- being an MVP and the Super Bowl success.

12. Della9250

Peter King with his usual preview in the MMQB:

This is going to be a difficult and fascinating year for the Hall of Fame selections and the 48 selectors when they gather Saturday morning in Houston to pick the class of 2017.

Of the 14 modern-era candidates not named Tomlinson, there’s not a single one who’s close to a lock, which leads me to think (probably dubiously) that it finally could be a year where we break the safety logjam (John Lynch, Brian Dawkins and, as a senior committee finalist, Kenny Easley) that has festered in Hall voting for so long.

Draft saved Draft deleted