1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 College Football Stories Thread (not the weekly degenerate thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Can anybody answer this?
    I know about Title IX legislation. It was enacted when I was in college in, I think, 1973 to ensure equality in funding for men's and women's sports.
    Why are these assault allegations being investigated by Title IX? What does equality in funding have to do with assault investigations?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It doesn't.

What is Title IX?
    No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
    -Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you run a school that looks the other way as female students are allegedly assaulted, raped, subjected to frequent derogatory comments based on gender, etc., you can be and likely will be sued by those female students alleging that you are creating or allowing a hostile atmosphere that discriminates against them in violation of Title IX. The investigations schools launch to prevent such an unhappy outcome have come to be known by that shorthand accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. ChrisLong

I'm all for Title IX, except football and wrestling should be exempt. Total equality across the board for everything else.
    Using Title IX edicts to investigate assault charges, I think that's a reach. But so be it.

5. SpeedTchr

Any incidents of possible assault, etc., should be investigated by law enforcement, not a paper-pushing Title IX admin.

McNuggetsMan likes this.
  6. SpeedTchr

Why?

7. ChrisLong

Because they have to overbalance the other sports to compensate for the scholarships for football and wrestling. Of course, if a woman can make the team, good for her.
    Does it make sense to have 12 men's basketball scholarships and 14 women's basketball scholarships (I don't know the actually numbers, just making a point)? Or 5 for men's volleyball and 10 for women's?
    Most of the major colleges now have more women's sports than men's, just to compensate for football.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

9. SpeedTchr

Simple solution -- cut the number of football scholarships. Drastically.

Wrestling is a non-factor for 99% of NCAA schools.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. ChrisLong

This is an unnecessary old-news discussion.
    All I wanted to know was why the fuck Title IX regulations are involved with assault charges. Schools that try to cover up such matters should be subject to criminal justice. To hell with Title IX.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If athletic departments are able to interpret IX broadly and not have to field a woman's football team - why couldn't they go a little further and just give more scholarships to the arts to balance things out? Or do you need to field a women's golf team and send them to Hawaii and Mexico to even out the travel budgets as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted