1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is utter nonsense. If being an asshole was supposedly the reason, then those not wanting him would've been the UT administration--yet they were the ones who DID want to hire him.

Instead, the reason he wasn't hired was because of fan outcry after Clay Travis wrote that article--which, btw, did not mention anything about his personality, and instead focused on his won loss record and (bogus) alleged connection to Penn State. Those fans didn't give a shit (and likely didn't even know) about him supposedly being an asshole, instead it was about them thinking they could get a bigger better name instead.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    wicked and JC like this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Kirby Smart is at least an asshole, if not a raging one.

Right now, I'm ready to build a statue of him out of my fingernails and toenails.

Stoney likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. Saint Nick doesn't strike me as the greatest guy in the world, but if he became available, every major program in the game would go after him.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I never claimed that was what they were thinking. I simply said it was the spark that set things in motion. I had no idea on that Sunday afternoon that Schiano was No. 3 on Haslam's list (behind Gruden and Kelly). We found out a few days later. But the fans revolting the way they did --- for whatever reason or rationalization --- gave the other boosters and the Chancellor enough of a push to take back the athletic department.

WWI wasn't really fought over the assassination of an Archduke. But it was the spark. Same principle.

Because he was No. 3 on Haslam's list, and Nos. 1 and 2 we're gone. Haslam only wants coaches he can control.

One man wanted him. And he wasn't part of the administration. Just a booster ordering the administration what to do.

One more point that keeps getting ignored: It wasn't just fans who protested. It was athletic department personnel, former players, even politicians. Yet the "rube fans" are the only people ever cited in the fiasco.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I dig the move. Glad he's back in Corvallis.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The idea that Schiano is a good coach amazes me. He made Rutgers respectable but no more, failed in comically horrible fashion in the NFL, and is thought well of by Bill Belichick and Urban Meyer. Yeah I want him for the face of my university. Hondo's right. He's an asshole and he's NOT a winner. Why have him?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Will be curious to see how the SEC's parochial hiring practices work in the long term. Seven of the past 10 SEC head coaching hires have been internal promotions or have come from other SEC programs. Of them, Muschamp, Smart and Barry Odom, amazingly, appear to be off to good starts.

It's now seven of 14 SEC coaches whose previous gig was within the conference.
    Big Ten: 4 of 14
    Big 12: 3 of 10
    ACC: 1 of 14
    Pac 12: 4 of 11 with one pending hire

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Haslam won't be able to control a coach from the Saban tree. His way or the highway, and if Haslam doesn't like it, he can try to get him fired. But if Pruitt goes 9-4 next season, Haslam will be as good as neutered.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Haslam already has been neutered (as of the coup that happened last week). Haslam's choice for AD to replace Currie was Reid Sigmon. He came to Chancellor Beverly Davenport after the firing of Currie and said you are going to name Sigmon AD. She said, no I’m not, and AD job went to Fulmer.

Haslam reportedly was not at Pruitt news conference today.

And an offensive coach is leaving USC to join Tennessee . . . and his name is not Tee Martin.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's very likely my ignorance is showing, but I've never heard of one booster single-handedly installing his own guy as AD at a major university.

Well, except Oregon, but that's a special case. Maybe that happened in Maryland, too.

Boosters have money, but not that type of F-you money.

Wasn't Haslam indicted by the feds?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

T. Boone Pickens and Phil Knight say “hi.”

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted