1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

His captain is "They should have been here by now..."

Hilarious. Finn just gets "it" in this current landscape.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Watching Breaking Ground for the first time. Liked Haitch's opening monologue, but couldn't help but laugh when he left out the tidbit about him sleeping with the boss' daughter.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just a thought also, since this is for the WWE title, why not expand to a 40-man field? I'm sure you'll have a backlog of guys that want the title, and it'd be a good way to get some NXT guys in the loop.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fixed :D

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because the one time they did the 40-man Rumble it sucked donkey balls.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Davis did his role well. You wanted to see him get his ass kicked.

Patrick was just annoying.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

But there really wasn't a reason to do it then. This one has a strong reason to do it.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True, but it wasn't the stakes that sucked, it was the format itself. It just dragged on too long. Every Rumble has that mid-match lull where there's 8-10 guys in the ring and you go 7 or 8 minutes without an elimination, and that one's lull was about 20 minutes.
    The 30-man Rumble has a perfect rhythm to it.
    The first few guys come out and do their thing. The first eliminations occur. The ring fills up a bit by the time you get to 12 or 13 and start figuring out which big guns are left and who might make a long run to the finish. Around No. 20, you realize that someone from the first five is still in there ... and they bow out around No. 25, which is just in time to start really doing the math on the odds and get excited about who's going to win. Then you get the final four, and the finish.
    Done right, that lull is minimized or occurs early in the match and it ramps up as the hour goes on. Throw another 10 guys in there and it takes an extra 15-20 minutes, mostly for jobbers you know have no chance in hell of winning or even sticking around to the final four, and the lull drags.
    The 30-man Rumble is like the 12-team NFL playoffs or the 64/68 team NCAA Tournament. It sounds like more would be great, but it's really not. It's perfect the way it is.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You know, every year they always hype how any man can win the Rumble, but as we all know, it usually is only a couple of people, that you know has an actual shot, sometimes just one guy.

Since they're talking about the title, instead of challenging for it in the main event at WM, if ever there was a year to have a total underdog win the Rumble, this should be it. Have the underdog win, be forced to defend it the next night on Raw against one of the top stars, drop the belt, have his rematch at Fastlane, lose, and go back to the midcard.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like it, but who could they do it with who could be somewhat credible?
    Owens and Ambrose have their own thing, and neither needs their first of what figures to be multiple title reigns wasted like that.
    Big E or Kofi would be good candidates. Maybe Jericho? It'd be a great way to make the Miz relevant again.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If I'm booking this Rumble, I'm using it exclusively as a place to build Mania.
    1.) My first and (sadly) most predictable choice would be to have Lesnar win it after HHH screws Reigns. You get Reigns-HHH at Fastlane with the condition that Roman's rematch at Mania is on the line. Boom. Reigns wins, Reigns vs. Lesnar at Mania, Reigns is established as the new guy.
    2.) If, however, you don't want to go that route, then I think you have to set up Reigns vs. HHH for Mania. Reigns loses the belt by virtue of the stipulation, he gets his rematch at Fast Lane against whomever wins it and HHH screws him again, taking him out of the title picture for good and leaving HHH v. Reigns as a marquee match on the show but a non title one.
    But that leaves a big question mark as to who gets the title there. Me? In this scenario, I'd give it to Cena. Set up Cena vs. Reigns for FL and then we get Cena vs. Taker for Mania with the caveat being it's Taker's last match and he wants to go out on top.
    And that also leaves a big question mark regarding Lesnar. I think we get Brock in the Rumble regardless and, if he's not going to win, I think the only logical thing to do is have him crushing everyone in his way and have him get knocked out, straight up in a one-on-one fight, with Owens.
    It shocks the shit out of everyone in attendance and builds Owens like a monster. The two of them could tell an amazing and brutal story at Mania if given time and Lesnar would be doing what he's always been signed to do in this run and that's building the next stars.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Shoulder surgery for Cena......probably opens up a big time spot in the Rumble.

Draft saved Draft deleted