1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Goldberg getting this big a reaction. Personally he does nothing for me. Never did.

Hogan slipped on a banana peel at the Georgia Dome. Fact.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No wonder it took him 12 years to find his way back into the ring. He was lost and wandering in the bowels of the arena the whole time.

Ignatius_J._Reilly and RickStain like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With Goldberg coming back, the rebirth of the cruiserweight division, WWE getting its money's worth on the WCW video library ... maybe we can get Strowman lawn-darting Zayn into a trailer. That would be worth my $9.95 for this month.

nietsroob17 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm just surprised he was able to cut a good promo. That last line about Lesnar being last was perfectly delivered.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cole can start giving out TNA results, and they can bring in Kevin Sullivan to manage Big Show, and put him with the Wyatt's as the new Dungeon of Doom.

Ignatius_J._Reilly likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And then Cena can join Sheamus and Cesaro in forming the nWo version 16.0

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

You saw her try to stretch her leg out kinda, but I think she realized they were turned wrong and she couldn't reach.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I did an interview with Goldberg six years ago when he was on the Apprentice. I wish I could find the notes. I remember asking him who the better boss was, Trump or Vince McMahon, and he answered something about how it was easily Trump because he respected him and hated McMahon.

He also had this quote:

"Do I see myself getting back in the wrestling ring? I'm 43 years old. Do I want to be Ric Flair? Do I want to be Hulk Hogan? In the twilight of my life, do I want to be running around in my underwear trying to injure people? Absolutely not. ...
    "(Wrestling) was a stage in my life, a wonderful stage. "Do I ever see it happening again? You never say never, but I don't see it likely by any stretch of the imagination.
    "I'm putting together chicken nuggets that are shaped like dinosaurs for my kid and I'm watching 'SpongeBob' as opposed to sitting up at the gym, thinking about myself. I've just kind of moved on, and I don't see it happening."

Here's the story: Real Goldberg

Something that didn't make the story: he mentioned that the one thing that might get him back in the ring was wanting his son to see him wrestle. I'm guessing that and a nice paycheck did the trick.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I actually loved seeing the reactions of some of the wrestlers (excuse me, Superstars) as Goldberg was walking through on his way to the ring, especially Backlund at the beginning and the New Day soon after.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

JRoyal, he's been saying pretty consistently for a couple years that he wanted his son to be able to see him wrestle live at least one more time. He never showed an interest in going to TNA or the minor league promotions, so I think it was a matter of him and WWE finally agreeing on the money.

I was a huge Goldberg mark back in the day. He was incredibly lucky with his timing, but hey, few things were more exciting than seeing him spear through all of the NWO, after they spent essentially a whole year dominating every match. Him beating Hogan was a wrestling moment I distinctly remember watching on TV - it's kind of how the finish of Sting vs. Hogan should have been, with a babyface triumphing over the odds, except WCW fucked that up somewhat.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

He was very sour on McMahon when I talked with him, which is what made me think it would be hard for him to come back. He liked Trump a lot more than Vince, and now he talks crap about Trump. I think in the end it was mostly his desire to have his son see him in the ring that brought him back, and he talked about that in 2010 even, but I'm sure the WWE is giving him a nice payday to make it worth his time.

Draft saved Draft deleted