1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not nearly as bad. See, this is why I think people miss how egregious what Baker did was. Because it gets lost in all the other "how much should you let a young pitcher go" debates. Rodon was 22 all year and maxed out at 116 pitches.

Prior pitched 116 or more 14 times in the regular season and 3 more in the playoffs. He broke 130 four times.

This wasn't an ordinary "how hard is it OK to push a young pitcher" argument. This was Baker pushing a pitcher who had never thrown a full season before harder than *any pitcher in baseball was pushed all year*, including veterans whose arms could handle it. And he refused to take advantage of numerous opportunities to give him a lighter day when the game was out of reach, including 116 pitches and 7 innings in Game 2 of the infamous NLCS when the Cubs led 11-0 after five.

Goddamit now I'm pissed. I hate Dusty fucking Baker so much.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Orioles are going to have to score nine runs a game to contend, but at least it'll be fun to watch.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Am I crazy to think the Phillies won't be as awful as people expect? By "not as awful" I mean that they'll only lose 80+ instead of the 90+ everyone predicts.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not sure but Franco is going to bust out this season.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL, so we gather.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Prior had a terrible delivery. Dusty didn't help, but he was always an injury risk.

7. RickStain

Terrible is overstating it, but it is true we can never know for sure whether Prior would have been bum-armed regardless.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All the talk when he came up was that Prior had perfect mechanics and that would keep him healthy. Then, after the injuries hit, you started to see stories about how his mechanics led to health problems.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I challenge you to find anyone who said or wrote that before he was injured. All I heard about was how he had perfect mechanics, because people were trying to distinguish him from Wood.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. RickStain

He had the flying W or whatever that is supposed to put more strain on the elbow. Everything else was pretty textbook.

11. RickStain

There was this one weird amateur pitching coach whose name I forget who had a web site that claimed Prior was doing something wrong. It made a minor dent in the headlines in Chicago his rookie year.

Wood was damaged goods before Baker got to him, probably before the Cubs even drafted him.

12. RickStain

I'm not sure I'm even getting across the true depth of my hatred.

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted