1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The A.L. MVP race is an outstanding one right now. My guess is that it's going to get 1. Betts; 2. Trout, but it could just as easily go the other way.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know what to do with him. You vote for three, right? I'd probably leave off the two Cubs guys, because of innings. So you've got to pick three from: Scherzer, Bumgarner, Roark, Cueto, Fernandez, Kershaw.

So probably ... 1. Scherzer; 2. Bumgarner; 3. Fernandez?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is a 20-inning difference that big of a deal when they're so far ahead in ERA? They'll end up in the 180-200 IP range.

And Bumgarner is nowhere close to the second-best pitcher in the NL this year. He is arguably second to Cueto on the Giants.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Vote for five. And LTL is right, of anyone on the Giants, it's Cueto who would be getting the vote.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lester has the same issue as Hendricks, innings pitched. As you mentioned on the RIP thread, Fernandez should be in the discussion as well/

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Trout's numbers this year are very good as always, but I don't think they're transcendent. He might barely get to 30 HR and 100 RBI. And he plays for a shit organization. What Betts is doing follows the MVP textbook to a T.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yep, Trouts fault his organizations the shits. I bet if they switched teams Betts would have the Angels in contention.

8. outofplace

Team success is a factor in the MVP voting whether you like it or not, JC.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be, it's an individual award.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When you introduce the word "valuable," you automatically involve the team.

11. outofplace

And that is how the voting has been handled in the past. Precedent matters. Whining about it not being fair doesn't change the fact that playing for a winning team improves Betts' candidacy.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Andre Dawson, Alex Rodriguez ...

Draft saved Draft deleted