1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 3, 2016.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Three minutes of commercials an hour. No Chris Berman despite ESPN coverage. Gorgeous grounds. They throw out people who yell MASHED POTATOES.

Hell, they can sacrifice virgins at Amen corner, if they deliver all the stuff listed above.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Great points. I hadn't seen the story before, just popped up on my Twitter feed today.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It think the thing about The Masters is that it is the one event that looks pretty much the same as it did 30 or 40 years ago. We always talk about things not being as good as they one were, but it is kind of nice to have something not change (the camera angles, the hushed tones, the music, the course etc.) and the event not pimp itself out for every last dollar like pretty much every other sport has done.

expendable and I Should Coco like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll be happy to listen to all of the bitching and wailing about Augusta when these same people take Burning Tree Club in Bethesda to task for way worse.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spieth is 4-under through 10, making him 22-under for his last 82 holes at Augusta. Must like the course.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my ChromeCast. I'm watching the Spieth and Fowler groups on big screen, gorgeous quality, and it's not on real TV until 3.

Spieth is stunningly good, but he is scrambling a bit. A little scattershot off the tee.

7. poindexter

I don't claim to be an expert, but I've watched the Masters for too many years. You don't really get penalized at Augusta for wayward tee shots.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There are spots where they can absolutely kill you, but you generally have to be really wayward to get penalized.

The anti-Spieth today is Ernie Els, who needed seven putts to card a tidy 10 on the first hole.

9. poindexter

And their website is the tits.

10. Speith is 5-under and surrounded by English. Three shots clear of everyone.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fowler out in 36, in in 44! for an 80.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

In the comments the author says:

Having covered an Olympics, I disagree. Maybe I didn't have any experiences THAT outlandish, but at the Olympics someone had clearly thought of every shortcut a reporter might want to take, ever corner he or she might want to cut, and they had a person or three standing there ready to tell you "no."

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted