1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Insert hole in one joke here......

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The dude is spot on. I was watching on dvr, so the commercials weren't as bothersome. But holy fuck, I was fast forwarding a lot. TONS of commercials. And they can ditch the Sir Nick Faldo exercise tips.

There was not a lot of golf in that golf telecast yesterday.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Did see the brilliance of Bubba though, he bombs it and then has the silky touch around the green and with the putter. What a combo. (I'm on the fence about how he is as a person but what a talent.)

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's odd. There are courses, hard courses too, like Riviera and Augusta where Watson blooms and looks damn near impossible to beat. Then there are other occasions where he seems beat before he starts.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Pebble Beach is a joke watching on TV.
    The Masters isn't.

7. Earlier this week Mickelson heaped high praise on TW noting none of today's players have the total package Woods had at the height of his career.
    Case in point: McIlroy misses the cut this week..

Then there was the rumor TW's back recovery was so off the track he couldn't sit. The rumors were such he took to social media to post a video of him swinging as he tries to work his way back to some form of golf.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tiger missed the cut at the 2006 U.S. Open, a year after winning his fourth Masters and the British.

Shit happens.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

When are my fellow sportswriters going to learn that the public doesn't give a rat's ass if we're inconvenienced? Quit writing this kind of shit. Just say the player had no comment and leave it at that. Same thing with Cam Newton. The whole post-Super Bowl ripping he got was just because the media didn't get the quotes it wanted and got pissy about it.

10. From February of 1998 into May of 2005, Tiger Woods made the cut in every tournament he entered on the PGA Tour. That streak of 142 consecutive tournaments without missing a cut is the PGA Tour's all-time record.

Friday marked the 29th time Rory McIlroy has missed the cut as a professional -- 11 of those have come on the PGA TOUR and it was his first missed cut since the 2013 Open Championship at Muirfield.
    Woods, who turned pro in 1996, has missed just 13 cuts worldwide in his nearly two decades in the game with a dozen of those coming on TOUR.
    Phil Mickelson, meanwhile, has 72 missed cuts as a professional.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jesus.

I didn't realize he was THAT unstoppable.

Conversely, I didn't realize Mickeltits was THAT stoppable.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When on the cut line on a Friday, Woods, as per his personality, would grind it out on every putt to make it.
    When on the cut line on a Friday, Mickelson, as per his personality, would try for an eagle on every hole and wind up missing some cuts.
    This is one of the reasons Woods was a better golfer than Phil, and one of the reasons fans love Phil win or lose while they admired but didn't always love Tiger.

expendable likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted