1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds like some of my missed dating opportunities.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing I've noticed in the playoffs is that an inordinate number of Ottawa wins conclude with fans, media and players of their opponents noting quite accurately that their team didn't capitalize on opportunities. I'm starting to believe the Senators may have something to do with that.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure they do, but there were also some unforced errors in there. For example, Phil Kessel had a great chance on the short side late, but hesitated and put a late shot into the goalie's belly.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's just it. There is something about the Senators that puts other team's players a bit off their usual selves. It has to be a way of playing, because when Ottawa doesn't have it, it really doesn't, as we've seen very recently.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Not a lot of chatter the last few days about how Canadiens are crazy about hockey compared to Americans.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Malkin goal last night was just disgusting. Dude has sick hands.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. outofplace

Agreed. It was a minute or two after Daley's goal was incorrectly disallowed. Makes me think Malkin was pissed off and took it out on the Senators.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was out and saw the disallowed goal without sound. What was the explanation? I guess I saw Daley's leg hit Anderson's in the crease, and that was the interference? I've seen much worse allowed this postseason if that was the case ...

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Preds have had a promotion for a few years now where you can go on their app the morning of a game and get one of 100 tickets to that night's game for $15.

Now that they're in the Stanley Cup Final ... they're still doing it. Same price as always.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched every minute of the Rangers series. Scattered parts of their other series, but I'll just comment on the Rangers series. The Rangers beat themselves. They are the more talented team -- skill wise. They had three games won, which they gave away. Certainly the two OT games. The credit I will give to Ottawa is that they took advantage of the opportunities. But when you have multi-goal leads, twice let them whittle down to a single goal, then give up the tying goal with the other teams' goalie pulled, and then lose the game in OT, you are a team giving away the series. The Rangers did that twice.

11. outofplace

It was a horrible call negating a hell of a play by Daley.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Today was Ducks postseason injury revelation day:

Hampus Lindholm -- Torn shoulder labrum, 4-5 months, might miss opening day.
    Sami Vatanen -- Torn shoulder labrum, worse that Lindholm's, probably will miss opening day.
    Kevin Bieksa -- Torn MCL.
    Nate Thompson -- Hairline ankle fracture.
    Patrick Eaves -- High ankle sprain and deep bone bruise.
    Rickard Rakell -- High ankle sprain (knee to knee hit from James Neal).
    John Gibson -- Left hamstring pull.
    Logan Shaw -- Torn groin muscle.
    Jared Boll -- Strained back.
    Ryan Kesler and Jakob Silfverberg -- Undisclosed as yet (could be hand injury to Kesler, rib injury to Silfverberg).

Question for Elliotte: What affect does Vatanen's injury have on the proposed trade with Dallas and/or the Vegas expansion draft?

Draft saved Draft deleted