1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In the the Ducks' 6-1 win over the Preds, they got 3 PPG, 2 SHG and 1 even-strength goal. They had a season high in goals and a season low in goals-against in the same game. Uh, Pekka Rinne was horseshit. But he wasn't when it mattered more, last April.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Kesler KO'd by Domi, Chris Long weeps.

5. ChrisLong

He ducked right into an uppercut, then another. It was a one-punch KO and the second punch landed, too. I don't dispute visual evidence. He missed a few minutes but came back into the game.
    Because it irritates you so, I didn't bother posting that another Duck, Nick Ritchie, is out with a concussion and the Kings' Tom Gilbert got a three-game suspension for an illegal hit that was did not warrant a penalty call on the ice ... again.
    I wasn't at the game tonight, but from all reports, Bieksa was laughing at Kesler as he helped him off the ice.
    I'm not weeping after a 5-1 victory. Your boy Getzlaf sat this one out.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Won't anyone think of the goaltenders? What did he do to get such punishment.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The Habs were on the front end of a back-to-back (they're hosting the Flyers tonight) and didn't want to use Price, who doesn't exactly have a good recent record of durability.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ah. I figured he forgot to walk the dog, take out the trash or something really bad.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, when the Habs are getting blown out, thoughts always turn to:

[​IMG]

As a Red Wings fan, it's a point of pride, though I admit it probably created the Avalanche problem of the 1990s and early 2000s.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Rangers have just been pouring it on teams. I knew they would score goals from what I saw in the preseason. But what they have been getting is ridiculous, and from some players from whom you didn't know what you were going to get this season. Five or more goals in each of the last 5 games, which they haven't done since the late 70s. It's not a few players carrying the team. It's everyone. They have four legit lines, all with ridiculous speed. The third line with JT Miller, Kevin Hayes and Michael Grabner has been as good as any first line they have had the last few years. This style of play really favors Grabner and he looks like a revitalized player -- nothing like the mess Toronto got. He's also a ridiculous penalty killer. They get a a good shorthanded chance or two because of him almost every game. They had two shorthanded goals against Boston on Saturday. Miller and Hayes are turning into legit stars. Jimmy Vesey has been even better than advertised and has a nose for the net (but still makes one or two mistakes a game -- none which has been a disaster yet). Pavel Buchnevich scored gaols the last 2 nights (first two NHL goals and the second one was a big league move), although Dustin Byfuglien crushed him with a "welcome to the NHL" hit yesterday. Rich Nash is even back. Forechecking and driving toward the net every chance he gets.

Of course, as a fan, you wait for the other shoe to drop. Last year, they got off to a great start, but watching the games, they were being outplayed a lot even though they were winning, and you knew it was a bit of a mirage. This season, the 5 and 6 goal nights have also masked some of the flaws. But it is an even better team than I thought it was.

If there is an achilles heel, it is the defense. The D has actually played decently (not great), so far, but for a team with that much speed up front, they don't have the perfect guys to get the puck out of the zone and start the rush. There are some older guys back there who may fall apart from the season grind (although AV sat Dan Girardi on the second game of a back-to-back last night; he's learning!). The forwards have been being relied on for a lot. So far, everyone is buying in and playing in both zones, getting back, etc. But it's a long season.

Also, last night against Winnipeg, they had that "we can turn it on and off at will" thing going and slipped into sloppy play for several minutes, which was disconcerting. If they do that against a better team, they will pay. Winnipeg has a lot of talent, btw. Just young. I was impressed by how they played, even though it was a 5-2 final. They don't give up and keep coming at you regardless of the score. Their goaltending is horrible, though. ... which is too bad. The Rangers were pinching a bit too much last night. It worked last night, but it's dangerous. They need to know when to be aggressive and when it isn't smart. But still, I'll take this while it lasts. Hopefully for the whole season and they aren't peaking in November.

11. ChrisLong

Glad to see Rogie Vachon get into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Great goalie, class guy, amazing family. Could have been more of a legendary figure in L.A. if Jack Kent Cooke had not traded him. My one memorable story about Rogie came just after he was traded. My paper was in Santa Monica and the Vachons lived next door in Pacific Palisades. We circulated there and they read my paper. I wrote a column criticizing the trade, criticizing JKC and the organization. I wrote that if Vachon had been allowed to spend the rest of his career in L.A., he would eventually been regarded with the same stature as Sandy Koufax, Elgin Baylor and Merlin Olsen. The next day, for a reason I cannot remember, I was in the office on a Saturday morning. That never happened. I must have forgotten something and stopped in for a minute to get it. But I was there and the phone rang. I debated answering it, but did. The caller asked for me. It was Nicole Vachon. She thanked me profusely for what I had written. Totally a weird situation,

Also, in all the reminiscing about Pat Quinn, I have not seen one word mentioned about his serious conflict of interest. (Elliotte, I just saw you on NHL Network and you overlooked this, too.) In December 1986, while coach of the Kings, he signed a contract to be coach and GM of the Canucks for the next season without the Kings knowing. He pulled out a lot of legal mumbo jumbo to try to explain, but Commish Ziegler handed him a hefty suspension. Shouldn't this be a part of his hockey legacy?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd be quite happy for the Rangers to continue to have great early-season success. Sure as hell worked for the Caps last season.

Had great seats for Caps-Carolina in Raleigh Saturday but after a weird Chicago-Raleigh back-to-back, the Caps looked gassed and uninterested and predictably got waxed. Was a little tipsy so it didn't really faze me. Fun time in downtown Raleigh pre and post game and nice quick Uber service to and from the arena.

Draft saved Draft deleted