1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Everybody has it out for the Rangers

Caps, by the way, are honoring Holtby for his Vezina last season. And they're not planning to have him play vs. Colorado

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My house to Nashville - 200 miles
    My house to Raleigh - 560 miles

Guess which city's hockey team I'm getting on Fox Sports South, cable guide notwithstanding? #chartercablefail

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Watching them in Minnesota tonight, the Kings are in deep shit if they don't get Quick back soon.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know! Why is that?

Not really related, but was just thinking about this. ... Ms. Ragu really loves her Rangers. We are spending so much time in Philadelphia, because of her work. We actually have a place there. Last season, I got tickets for an early season Rangers-Flyers game in Philly. Before the game, I warned her that Philly fans can be a little rough. I told her to be aware of her surroundings. I put us in decent seats, figuring that we'd be safer rooting for the enemy there than we would be in the cheap seats (are there cheap seats anymore?). But I had her so worried about us getting beat up for rooting against the home team and that our corpses would be drowned in the Schuylkill River, that she was a little anxious. She didn't know whether I was joking around or if they are animals. I was telling her stories of Philly fans pelting Santa Claus with snowballs, etc.

We got to the game and we found our seats, and there were a lot of Rangers fans -- maybe 30 to 40 percent of the arena. She relaxed. Then, two dweebie guys from NY in their Rangers jerseys came and sat down next to us. They looked harmless. Certainly no different than thousands of other of people filling the arena. But like clockwork, two security guards came right over, and said something like, "Look, we have trouble every time these two teams meet. We don't want any fights tonight. Don't egg anyone on. We have our eyes on you."

It was funny for two reasons. 1) Out of the Rangers fans coming in, those two guys did NOT look like the two who would be starting a brawl. They looked like accountants. And 2) The look on Ms. Ragu's face.

Nothing happened in the stands during the game that I could see. It was actually really tame.

But yeah, everyone has it out for the Rangers. Even the guys working security. It's not right!

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good, businesslike win for the Caps last night. Great to have hockey back.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched a bit of the Devils game last night against Anaheim. Taylor Hall had a really good game. He got his first two goals as a Devil. The second one was a beautiful tip on a high shot from the point on the power play. There is something about him that bothers me personally, and I can't put my finger on it, but that trade looked good, last night at least. He earns quite a bit, but he is going to have to carry that team if they do anything this season. He's a really good player.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was a great trade for the Devils. A panic move by the Oilers.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm so old I remember when the Oilers didn't suck.

HC likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Their new arena looks hella sweet on TV though.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

For the record, the Ducks took 7 penalties. All were justified. And, on a high-stick inflicted on Bieksa, he could have been cited for embellishment. I'm not even sure he got sticked, but he snapped his head back like he'd been dropped from the gallows.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Was fortunate enough that the Red Wings' home opener against Ottawa coincided with their being the NHL.tv Free Game of the Day. Looked a lot better than they sounded in their first two games in Florida, though to be fair, both of those teams are significantly better. Detroit has some talent, just not enough of it. What was weird for Detroit was that they had multiple fights, which they haven't done since practically Probert. Sens looked pretty bad, though they went out and hung seven on the Coyotes the next night so maybe it's all relative.

Thinking about putting down coin for Gamecenter on payday but not sure if it's worth it given how many games will be taking place while I'm on deadline.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

See Quick is out 3 months after a non-surgical procedure on his groin.

Jokes aside, WTF is a non-surgical procedure that would fix that serious of a groin injury? Put his entire crotch in a cast?

Draft saved Draft deleted