1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 15, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, one of Fox's first "moments" had nothing to do with the new gimmicks.

The 30 seconds spent on the 15-year-old amateur's face as he waited to tee off were award-worthy.

I've got to admit, too, that I'm interested to see some of their additions in practice. They did about 5 minutes on those alone in the preshow, and some of them looked pretty cool. Especially liked the "enhanced" greens that show the peaks and valleys like you just couldn't see before.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The pros will beat the shit out of this course without weather or the USGA making a joke of the course's length. Not enough is demanded of the tee shots.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nice start for the kid. Save from the rough for a very solid par, about two revolutions short of bird.

It might be tougher for the announcers to avoid referring to Cole Hammer as Cole Hamels.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tim Brando early.... hmmmm

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Dear Natalie Gulbis: If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up!

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wait, there's a golfer names Cole Hammer?
    That. Is. Awesome.
    Amazed he didn't turn out to be a race car driver or a spy, though.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. poindexter

Brando and his color guy have gotten into about three 'disagreements' in the 15 minutes I've been watching.

Its almost like Fox told the guys to use the "Around the Horn" ("Loud vs. Stupid") methodology.

8. poindexter

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tim Brando - golf announcer. Yikes. What happened? Gus Johnson wasn't answering your calls?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Watched 45 minutes on the elliptical and treadmill (Whitmanian humblebrag!) and really really liked the laser graphic off tee shots.

One of the overhead shots made a hunk of the course look like it was shaped like a heart.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I loved the announcer who throo the truck under the bus. "We have 10 million people from Fox here and our leaderboard graphic doesn't work...."

Over under on the times his truck cuts off his mic: 3

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So Dustin Johnson is -6 and three clear. Will be interesting to see if he can do it this time or if another one gets away from him

And I guess we aren't surprised to see a Texas Longhorn from Dallas near the top of the leaderboard. Yep, Cody Gribble at -2.....

Draft saved Draft deleted