1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What's with the parade of jobbers in this awful Big show segment?

Poorly booked divas match too. Way too long. We've seen Sasha and Becky have far far better matches so that one has to be on the agents.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Several botched spots tonight too. A couple in the Sasha-Becky match, and at least one in the New Day-Lucha Dragons stuff.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And are we suddenly supposed to care about Paul Wight again? Oh wait, the Royal Rumble is coming up, so they have to make him seem relevant.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Holy fucking shit. Watching RAW right now. That opening segment had some of the absolute worst acting I've ever seen in pro wrestling and that says a lot. I mean, a lot.
    I mean, we JUST watching Nikki and Brie Bella feud a year ago and this makes that seem Oscar worthy.
    My God. AWFUL.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good thing I don't keep a pile of bricks near my recliner. I would have chucked one at the TV when I was hearing Steph's screeching after Daddy was arrested.

Meh Raw. Why Del Rio agreed to a title match is beyond me.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

About halfway through. Love how they started the show with such a terrible promo and then went to the only three things still consistently good: Kevin Owens, Sasha Banks and the New Day.
    Sadly, though, I think Sasha has regressed. That match with Becky was sloppy at best and a disorganized mess at worst. They need to start putting her in an important feud stat before the crowd turns on her and right now that's all she has going for her on the main roster.
    New Day remains gold though.
    Kofi telling parents to call New Day and they'll "fight" their misbehaving children was awesome.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I know this is the holiday lull, but ... this has to get better, right?

8. Baron Scicluna

Remember this year's Wrestlemania build?

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Observer from Jan. 4:

- The Rock announced on Dec. 28 that he would be part of Mania in 2016. It’s unlikely that he will be wrestling, but whatever the plan is with him hasn’t been leaked out yet. Regardless, it’s probably a significant role if they’re announcing it this far in advance. The past plans centered around Triple H vs. The Rock, with Rock representing a face-Vince McMahon for control of the company.

- In a radio interview, Coachman said that he knew “friends” who were using HGH back in the day. It’s likely that he meant wrestlers.

- TNA debuted at 111,000 viewers on Pop TV, with the caveats of 1) the show was unadvertised and 2) its lead-in was Days Of Our Lives. TNA also has to do a live PPV on Jan. 8 for contractual reasons, which will take place after one TV broadcast (Jan. 5), and also, two recordings on Jan. 6 (for Jan. 12) and Jan. 7 (for Jan. 19).

- Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly are negotiating with ROH again, after the sides were initially far apart on money. WWE and TNA also have interest in the pair. Their contacts expire Jan. 1.

- Cena’s part in Sisters was well-received, and he’s likely to get more movie offers in the future.

- Details on Nikki Bella’s injury is vague, because of the confidentiality stuff she has to sign for Total Divas. However, rest hasn’t helped bulging discs, and they’re going to try a bit more rest before another evaluation in late January. If it’s still not any better, she’ll likely get surgery.

- Jericho said he’s not involved with Mania, which means nothing. However, Fozzy also has no tour dates listed, so his schedule is free.

- Edge and Christian will soon start shooting “Edge & Christian’s Show That Totally Reeks of Awesomeness” for the WWE Network in the next few weeks.

- Woods gave an interview to Detroit News and confirmed that he played the trombone from middle school through college. “People don’t realize it, but some of the best stuff comes from not having a plan,” he said.

- Finn Balor and Bayley could be on the main roster sooner rather than later for age reasons. Balor, 34, comes from New Japan, and he’s already worked a lot of years with a high impact style, and he’s now carrying NXT as well. Bayley, 26, probably can’t keep doing this character into her 30s.

10. Baron Scicluna

1. Oh, God, not another match for "control of the company." This ain't 1998.

2. "Days of our Lives" leading in to wrestling. That's funny as hell.

3. Yes, Xavier, people do realize that some great stuff comes without having a plan. The problem is, your company is too afraid to try to do things without having a plan.

4. Bayley as a heel someday could be fantastic, especially if they give her a great push as a face beforehand. Knowing the E, though, they'll fuck the turn up horribly.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

re: Bayley, I kind of agree with Meltzer's take that she could be the first Hogan or Cena-like babyface for the division that could hit beyond traditional wrestling fans, and also, do really well with a demographic they don't usually do well with (young girls). The office hopes that they can just put her on WWE TV with no changes and her fan base will go with her. But yeah, even if that does go off as planned, they still need to have a Plan B for a few years in the future, as she ages and cleans out the division.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

On Coachman and HGH, first thing I thought when I saw the Manning thing was he probably did the same thing Edge did.....similar surgeries right?

Draft saved Draft deleted