1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 8, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Judging pass coverage based on interceptions is similar to judging defense by errors in baseball. It can give you an idea, but it can be very misleading.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Is Modell ever getting in?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm judging Atwater on the full body of work including Pro Bowls and accolades by writers and news services.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not sure Pro Bowls should weigh heavy when considering HOFers.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He played when players and coaches voted for Pro Bowlers.

I suppose we should also disregard AP, UPI, the football mags and so on and etc etc etc.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Pro bowls are like gold gloves.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Pro Bowls in Atwater's day weren't the joke they are today.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

HOF defensive backs, from their website:
    Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972
    Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977
    Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983
    Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978
    Jack Butler (CB) 1951-59
    Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958
    Darrell Green (CB) 1983-2002
    Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989
    Ken Houston (S) 1967-1980
    Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976
    Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979
    Dick (Night Train) Lane (CB) 1952-1965
    Yale Lary (S) 1952-1953, 1956-1964
    Dick LeBeau (CB) 1959-1972
    Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994
    Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977
    Deion Sanders (CB-KR-PR) 1989-2000, 2004-2005
    Emmitt Thomas (CB) 1966-1978
    Emlen Tunnell (S) 1948-1961
    Roger Wehrli 1969-1982
    Aeneas Williams (CB/S) 1991-2004
    Larry Wilson (S) 1960-1972
    Willie Wood (S) 1960-1971
    Rod Woodson 1987-2003
    - See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx#sthash.Rfz7SxNV.dpuf

Note how few true safeties are on that list, half of whom played the majority of their careers before the Super Bowl era.

Maybe both Atwater and Kenny Easley should be in, but good luck to 'em getting there.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was really surprised that with Lynch, Atwater, Law and Woodson among the semifinalists, only one got to the final 15. I figured they would take at least two, although I didn't think three coaches would be finalists.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I am going to be the dissenter on Roger Craig apparently. He was a great player...not a Hall of Famer.

-- Was not the dominant back of his era. Was great in 1985 and 1988, and really just good the rest of the time.
    -- Only three appearances in the top 10 for rushing yards and all purpose yards, twice in rushing TDs, four times in receptions
    -- All Pro once (though was Offensive Player of the Year)
    -- Five times in the top 10 for yards from scrimmage, which is interesting and the only thing you can hang the Hall hat on statistically.

Now it is unwise to compare career stats of players between eras, so I am going to show how he compares to players from his own time frame to see if where he ranked.
    His five times in the top 10 scrimmage for the 1980s is behind Payton, Dickerson, Dorsett, Allen, and one 1 ahead of Ottis Anderson, Curt Warner and James Brooks, and two ahead of Gerald Riggs and Joe Morris. I don't think anyone would compare Craig to the four players ahead of him, who all went in on their first ballot.

But how does he compare to the guys one notch below him? He is very close. It could be said that Anderson and Warner had better highs than Craig. Neither has ever gotten a passing glance at the Hall. Yes, Craig was a key part of a team that won three Super Bowls. Anderson's best years were with the Cardinals , but he did help the Giants to a Super Bowl victory later in his career.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's fair. I guess I forgot how damn old he is.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

I was covering the NFL when Atwayer played and let me assure you the Pro Bowl was every bit the joke then it is now. Players voted on hype and reputation just as much as fans do now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted