1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think it's more confusing to me that someone could make a 'best picture' nominee and not be nominated for 'best director' for making it.

Like your point with the acting nomination, maybe its an issue of of seeding. The No. 6 seed can't be recognized in most categories because there aren't enough slots.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Leo was fantastic in The Aviator.

Recent biopics nominated for best picture and the actors who were nominated with them:
    2013: The Wolf of Wall Street - Leo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill (probably a little loosely defined as a biopic)
    2012: Lincoln - Daniel Day Lewis (won), Tommy Lee Jones, Sally Field
    2010: The King's Speech - Colin Firth (won), Geoffrey Rush; The Fighter - Christian Bale (won), Melissa Leo (won), Amy Adams
    2008: Milk - Sean Penn (won), Josh Brolin; Frost/Nixon - Frank Langella
    2006: The Queen - Helen Mirren (won)
    2005: Good Night and Good Luck - David Strathairn; Capote - Philip Seymour Hoffman (won); Catherine Keener
    2004: Ray - Jamie Foxx (won); The Aviator - Leo DiCaprio, Alan Alda, Cate Blanchette
    2001: A Beautiful Mind - Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connolly (won)
    2000: Erin Brockovich - Julia Roberts (won), Albert Finney

I may have missed some, but I'm a bit pressed for time. But I think what we see here is that in the last 15 years, the Academy has never nominated a biopic for Best Picture and snubbed the entire cast of acting nominations. In fact, biopics that get nominated for best picture are far more likely to have multiple acting nods.

So, anyway, it's just odd.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. bigpern23

I absolutely agree with this. It's bizarre that it could ever happen (again, before they expanded the field - now, it will happen every year). It's one of the reasons I don't think they should have expanded the Best Picture field.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

True, but it's nothing new. Even when there were just five Best Picture slots it seemed like there was usually at least one director who was snubbed each year. Lord knows we used to hear Billy Crystal make cracks about movies that apparently "directed themselves"

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

we're in agreement there. should not have expanded the number of nominations

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I treat Oscars like I treat all-stars in sports. I'm interested in whose getting the honor but I won't watch the exhibition.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Capote

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a lot more than I was thinking of.
    How could I forget 'Milk'? That's best movie on that list, and Penn was great.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Since 2005, lead actors in biopics who have won the Oscar

2005 - Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
    2005 - Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line
    2006 - Forest Whitaker - Last King of Scotland
    2006 - Helen Mirren - The Queen
    2007 - Marion Cotillard - La Vie En Rose
    2008 - Sean Penn - Milk
    2009 - Colin Firth - The King's Speech
    2011 - Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
    2012 - Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Witherspoon and Whitaker weren't the focal points of their movies. That was part of the reason 'Last King of Scotland' wasn't better - it was more about MacAvoy's character rather than Amin.

I'd say Firth and Rush were pretty much co-leads in 'Kings' Speech,' which I really liked.

But 'Milk' was really great.

11. bigpern23

Ah yes, of course. Missed that one. Changed to reflect it.

12. bigpern23

I love the Oscars and, to a lesser extent, the Golden Globes. I couldn't care less about any of the other awards shows, but the Globes are fun and the Oscars are a chance to (usually) honor the best in the industry.

And, FWIW, I still love the MLB All-Star Game. I can do without the other all-star games and can't remember the last time I watched more than a minute of any of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted