1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or, maybe, the players you mentioned are exactly why the NBA wanted a one-year rule in place and are proof that it's an idea with some merit. Maybe it's mediocre coaching, maybe their poor work ethic was exposed, maybe they just weren't as good as everybody thought. Whatever the reason, if those guys can't hack it at a major college program, would they ever have made a successful leap from high school to the NBA?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That 3-point range makes him a real wild card. And it could certainly be argued that he outplayed Towns in the semis and Okafor in the championship game. Sure, he's a senior and they were both freshmen, but there are no guarantees they catch and surpass him.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kaminsky is a stretch 5, which is overvalued these days. He's not strong enough or fast enough on defense, but I see him at about 15.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He plays absolutely no interior defense. Whether that was by Bo's design remains to be seen, but he will never be a post player without radical improvement there.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The age is the biggest issue. Anthony Davis is a month younger than him. Nerlens Noel is a year younger than him. Unless he keeps improving at his current rate even while being a pro and moving into his mid-20s, he probably tops out as an average rotation player, which you're not usually looking for in the lottery.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Some players are late bloomers, and if you look at his rate of improvement from a sophomore who barely played to Player of the Year, I like the trend.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's playing against guys two to four years his junior. The track record isn't good for when that happens, although admittedly, he's got a much better scouting profile and skill set than someone like Rafael Araujo. I guess I'm just kind of pessimistic on Kaminsky in general. I think he's fine in that 15 to 20 range, but I don't think he has all-star potential.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't expect Kaminsky to be a star in the NBA, but I could see him being a solid 10-year pro.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I saw one mock that has Dekker going 12 and Kaminsky going No. 16.

I know people love to dismiss the idea of a team taking a local player, but it would be fun if either of them wound up in Milwaukee.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The only players who stay four years in college anymore are the ones who have no chance at all of being NBA stars.

The only one I can think of in the last decade is Damian Lillard. Maybe Hibbert.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

J.J. Redick. Did he come out within the last decade?

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

J.J. Redick is not a star. And, on second thought, neither is Hibbert, but at least he made a few All-Star games.

Draft saved Draft deleted