1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 MLB spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So the Yankees were outbid by $6.5 million?

Old George is working overtime on his grave spinning.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Technically $13 million (Yankees are over their allotted spending on international free agents as well, and would have to pay the 100 percent tax, too), but yeah, George would not have let the Red Sox outbid him. Oddly, I had seen the other day that the Yankees were considering going to $50 million ($100 million total). It's possible they just wanted to bid up the Red Sox on him.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wonder how real the interest by other teams was in this case. There are very few teams with a realistic shot at this one given the high price tag.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    bigpern23 likes this.
  4. outofplace

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Isn't Bogaerts their starting shortstop for 2015? As I mentioned, everything I've seen and read points to Moncada ending up at third base or second base, possibly even the outfield, rather than shortstop.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I didn't say I was sure, just that it's a possibility. Mookie Betts can also plays short.

6. outofplace

What I'm saying is I wouldn't be so sure that signing Moncada opens the door for the Red Sox to trade Bogaerts. I don't think it does.

Betts made 13 appearances at shortstop in the New York-Penn League in 2012. Since then, he played shortstop only once, making an error on his only fielding chance in an Arizona Fall League game.

More importantly, Moncada most likely won't be a shortstop in the majors, so Bogaerts is still Boston's primary long-term option there.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

doctorquant and LongTimeListener like this.
  10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Impossible. Nothing is worse than PEDs. Murder is close, but nothing matches PEDs.

JackReacher likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was keeping him off the stuff?

Draft saved Draft deleted