1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Heisman. Who ya got?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

McCaffrey is going to have a tough time because of the East Coast bias. I don't know how many voters stayed up for Stanford games, and he's a member of the worst team in the bunch. I feel he's got no shot. A distant third.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think the East Coast bias is more of a factor than anything. I saw all of his games because my girlfriend is a Stanford grad (subtle brag), but I imagine I'm in the minority there. I'd be surprised if the fact that his team wasn't in the CFP played as much of a factor. It isn't like he was just a stat monster on a 7-5 team. Stanford is a conference champ that was an upset away from being in the playoff.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'd go with McCaffrey because I think he's more versatile. In Henry, I feel like I've seen this movie before.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

McCaffrey should win the award but probably won't win the award because he didn't play for the SEC or the Big 10. It will be the same problem Toby Gerhart had when he was up for the Heisman even though McCaffery has a better claim to the award than Gerhart. I will say there's no chance he's finishing "a distant third." That's ridiculous.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Paraphrasing what I said on the other thread, one key thing going against McCaffrey is his QB, Hogan, is pretty good. That's not to put down McCaffrey by any means, but Hogan's ability to scamper when needed (like his TD run against WAZZU which turned that game around) and get rid of it when needed will take away some of McCaffrey's glory. To me, that's a bigger issue for McCaffrey than any anti-Pac 12/West Coast bias.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When you hear broadcasters talk about "not a lot of people saw him play" because of the game times, they mean they didn't see him play. The guy generated more yardage than anyone in the history of the game over a season. But I get it - even in his "showcase" games (ND, Oregon) he didn't blow up and/or had another TV game competing for the audience.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The commentator at the Pac-12 championship game (I don't even know who he was) admitted that he had never seen McCaffrey play or done any research on him until preparing for this game. And he votes. That's his fault. They also said that most of Stanford's games started at 7:30 PT. That's the Pac-12's fault.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If your job is to follow college football and you didn't watch Stanford this year, you should fuck off.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand the various networks figuring they'll get their biggest audience in primetime in the west, but I don't know how many times the Pac-12 didn't have a single game in the 12:30 PT/330 ET window on national TV. And when you do push teams past 7 p.m., by all means make it the only game instead of splitting the audience. More than a few times, the P12 had three games start 7 p.m. or later, the fans who attend (or don't) don't like it, the schools don't like it and the teams don't like it.

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Prediction:
    1. Henry, Alabama
    2. McCaffery, Stanford
    3. Watson, Clemson

---invitation cutoff---

4. Mayfield, Oklahoma
    5. Reynolds, Navy
    6. Cook, Florida State
    7. Fournette, LSU
    8. Elliott, Ohio State

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Another thing I've never understood... Why don't they just invite five guys every year? What good does it do to limit it? Give these kids some recognition and increase programming/stories for the broadcast. Seems like a win-win. I would love to see the kid from Navy there, even if he had no chance of winning.

JackReacher likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It frequently ran past the TV window when they had five people there.

Draft saved Draft deleted