1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Heisman. Who ya got?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 8, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

JackReacher likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I hope you weren't referring to his Heisman year at Baylor on that.

And if you're referring to his NFL career, that has nothing to do with his college football career.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

aww, somebody is a little upset.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't think awe has anything to do with it.

EDIT: No fair!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    JC likes this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ok, you find the record overrated. That's fine. It is more of a talking point anyway. Anytime people get the chance to compare a player to the mighty Herschel Walker, they are going to do that, especially in the SEC.

Ignore the record. Let's just talk about what he did in 2015. This season - and we are only talking about this season, not how it compares to other seasons or backs from previous years - Henry led the NCAA in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. He rushed for more than 100 yards nine times and more than 200 yards four times. He had at least one rushing touchdown in every game. He carried a team to a conference championship and a shot at a national championship.

This isn't Gino Toretta we are talking about here.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As far as SEC defenses not having to respect the pass until 1990, I'd argue it was more difficult to run for big yards back in the day (at least in the I-formation), since every defense played 7- and 8-man fronts and knew who was getting the ball on almost every play.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

True. But at the same time, in those days the physical disparities between really good offenses and average or worse defenses played themselves out in the running game, just as the spread maximizes those disparities for wide receivers and DBs in the Big 12 today.

Draft saved Draft deleted