1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think there is a huge herd-mentality school of thought that every successful coach must spawn a massive coaching tree, and the mid-2000s was the time Izzo assistants were supposed to be hot. At one point about 2005-6 or so Crean, Gregory, Stan Heath and I think another couple of guys, were all supposed to be bound for coaching glory, but here we are and they've pretty much all fizzled out (and papa Izzo seems to be sliding too).

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And from the land of the mid-majors, Steve Shields out after 12 years at Arkansas-Little Rock (aka UALR).

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They wouldn't bring Mike Newell back, would they?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sources say the Arkansas-Little Rock AD is already on the phone with Gregg Marshall's agent. Negotiations could heat up the minute Wichita State loses. And if they win the title, he's definitely gone.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He wants the job so badly that he'll leave before the Sweet 16 games, even after Wichita State beats Kansas.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Maybe bring back Newell, with Wimp Sanderson as special assistant coach.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Who is the last coach to have any success at Fordham? Digger Phelps? They should be better. Good school, tons of local talent, good league. I know the arena is a quaint, antiquated dump but there is no excuse for the Rams being as horrible as they have been.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Boeheim: Wasn't me, babe.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

See you guys later. I have to get some orange magnets made with "966" written in blue.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if he gets the wins reinstated.

If they did it for Paterno, the least they could do it for the other coach who had a longtime pedophile assistant coach.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I often bring up the name Mike Newell as the low-major coach who decided NOT to leave and, later on, couldn't get a sniff.

He turned down Marquette in 1986 after the UALR win to beat Notre Dame and nearly beat N.C. State. Granted, Marquette was in the abyss between Al McGuire and Tom Crean but it was still a big job.

Newell bolted Little Rock for Lamar in 1990, a bizarre end for a guy who made the tournament, I believe, 3 times in 6 years at UALR.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the operative argument now is "nobody ever really gets punished for anything."

Draft saved Draft deleted