1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Is Shaka Smart the only former Donovan assistant to succeed? I wonder if Grant goes back to Florida like Pelphrey did.

3. Steak Snabler

Technically, Richard Pitino is a former Donovan assistant. He won an NIT, if you count that as "success."

4. RecoveringJournalist

Was he a graduate assistant? That would count. I'm not sure I would call him a success quite yet. Grant has had success, but not at Bama. I'm not sure Grant has the personality to be a success at a major program. Granted, Bama can be a tough job.

5. Steak Snabler

He was a full-time assistant, but he obviously got that job based on his father, who was Donovan's mentor ... which is what I meant by "technically."

6. RecoveringJournalist

Nepotism in coaching? Say it isn't so? :D

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't really know much about the guy, but on the surface it looks like he has 10-times more talent than everyone else in the Sun Belt and only barely squeaked by in that league. And he's built his roster on transfers and second-chance guys. I'm not sure that would fly at Georgia Tech.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I could see Indiana throwing a ton of money at Archie Miller, who nearly took Dayton to the A-10 title this year with six-seven scholarship players and nobody taller than 6-6.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Indiana would be dumb to do that. First, they aren't going to fire Crean now. Second, I'm not sure Archie Miller, outside of his run last year, has accomplished enough to convince me he is a ready for a blue blood program.

Which brings me to this point - who will be this year's Andy Enfield? You know, the guy at a mid-major who has a miracle run and parlays it into a job he isn't ready for

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Hiring Ron Hunter would be too expensive for Georgia Tech for another reason: Picking up the tab for the guy's health insurance wouldn't be cheap now that he has to have that torn Achilles repaired. Would GT be OK hiring a guy with a pre-existing health condition?

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Does this mean the Stan Heath Award is now renamed the Andy Enfield Award?

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Obviously, I wish I'd had some clairvoyance about that ...

The Tech decision is supposed to happen in the next few days, and this time I refuse to predict what will happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted