1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Baseball HOF ballot released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Has there been a pure reliever elected on the first ballot?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The only way Hoffman gets in on the first ballot is that all of those wacky Lee Smith voters (30 percent) all go with Hoffman. If they do that, I think he could sneak in at like 77 percent because there would be enough full ballot guys that would add him with three open slots alongside Griffey.

If the Lee Smith contingent stays away trying to get their guy in on his last couple tries, I think Hoffman debuts around 50 percent.

3. Della9250

Fingers went on the 2nd ballot
    Wilhelm went on the 8th ballot
    Gossage went on the 9th ballot
    Sutter went on the 13th ballot

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think Rivera is a first-ballot lock. I think Hoffman will get in first or second try. I think both of those guys were so much better than everyone else that he won't wait long, if at all.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a significant gap between Rivera and Hoffman, especially when you look at postseason accomplishments. There are enough voters who think going in on the first ballot means something that I think Hoffman has to wait a little while.

6. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Was that Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times?

As I remember Joe getting in trouble with the Chicago chapter of the BBWAA for some of his votes. IIRC, he was 'suspended' from voting for a one year period.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports didn't return a ballot and doesn't plan to vote in future years for the HOF. His column explaining his reasons:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-no...is-right-for-this-bbwaa-member-194029335.html

7. Della9250

While the Erstad vote is MIA, we know one of the Gordon votes:

Murray Janoff went: Garciaparra, Gordon, Johnson, E.Martinez, P.Martinez, Mattingly, Sheffield, Smith, Smoltz, Trammell. Hooray for 10 names, I guess?

Draft saved Draft deleted